A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: wall hitTestObject but with multiple walls

wall hitTestObject but with multiple walls

im doing a simple rpg game for a programming course held in my college and i have an issue with the walls
    so far this is what i figured out to make character not be able to walk on walls
    Code:
    function gameLoop(loopEvent: Event): void {
    	//////////links movement
    	if (rightPressed == true) {
    		if (linkMc.x < 1200) {
    			linkMc.x += 10
    		} else if (overworldMc.x > -4310) {
    			overworldMc.x -= 10;
    		}

linkMc.gotoAndStop("walk right frame");
    	} else if (leftPressed == true) {
    		if (linkMc.x > 570) {
    			linkMc.x -= 10
    		} else if (overworldMc.x < 3000) {
    			overworldMc.x += 10;
    		}

linkMc.gotoAndStop("walk left frame");
    	} else if (downPressed) {

if (linkMc.y < 525) {
    			linkMc.y += 10
    		} else if (overworldMc.y > -2232) {
    			overworldMc.y -= 10;
    		}

linkMc.gotoAndStop("walk front frame");
    	} else if (upPressed) {
    		if(!linkMc.hitTestObject(overworldMc.wallMc)){
    		if (linkMc.y > 300) {
    			linkMc.y -= 10
    		} else if (overworldMc.y < 0) {
    			overworldMc.y += 10;
    		}
    	}
    as you can see in the last one i made an objects called wallMc thats going to be transparent, and it works well to stop the chara from walking forward but i need multiple of these and when i put them all in one object the character is kind of ''inside'' of the symbol so she just has no ability to walk forward, in what way could i set it up so that i have multiple of these?

It depends on how complex you want it to be. One of the simpler ways would be to use a direction and when a hit happens to reverse it. This requires you to check hit in the direction you're moving. All hitTestObject does is check if the objects are overlapping. It's best to use direction instead for something like this. For each wall you need the objects to be separate. Your best bet is to place each wall object into an array to cycle through. There are quite a few tutorials out for this already. What version of actionscript are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    It depends on how complex you want it to be. One of the simpler ways would be to use a direction and when a hit happens to reverse it. This requires you to check hit in the direction you're moving. All hitTestObject does is check if the objects are overlapping. It's best to use direction instead for something like this. For each wall you need the objects to be separate. Your best bet is to place each wall object into an array to cycle through. There are quite a few tutorials out for this already. What version of actionscript are you using?
    as3. could you link me the tutorial? i feel like ive looked trhough eveything and havent found anything

Have you seen this series of videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_gL...FNy2nD5AsrWSIR Also, if you upload your fla I can take a look at it.

You've gotten among the best online sites.