A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Basic: version 10

Basic: version 10

I can't understand HTML5. It SEEMS to be server-based/dependent. (?) (I used to use KM in Windows 98. . .)

My question is, without Flash readers, which are said to be obsolete, will I still be able to send a friend a simple cartoon in swf format? Explorer will still open them, but some of my friends don't have Explorer.

I enjoy primitive cartoons with a "Click-and get a surprise" kind of thing. Stupid but harmless.

Super Moderator
    To answer your first question, Html5 is the latest version of Html. Graphic drawing commands are built into the language. It isn't necessary to use a plugin like Flash to implement animation. KoolMoves/KoolShow with the assistance of CreateJS animation framework convert your animation into Html5 drawing commands. For further information see https://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_canvas.asp

It is becoming increasingly difficult to play swf files in web browsers. Flash player end of life is Dec 31, 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hartzell View Post
    ... KoolMoves/KoolShow with the assistance of CreateJS animation framework convert your animation into Html5 drawing commands. ....
    I made a button test, and when I exported as Html5, got a list of things that wouldn't work, then a list of things to upload (which I ignore) and came out with a cartoon that did play, but the sound didn't connect to the right button (all sounds simply play immediately, all at once) although the buttons themselves worked perfectly.

Is it possible to get the sounds to connect to the correct part of the movie? I've TRIED to find a way---probably don't have the right vocabulary to know what to look for, nor to know it when I see it.

Super Moderator
    You said you ignored files that are supposed to be uploaded. One of those files contains code which handles button sound.

Does the animation sound play correctly when you preview the movie inside KoolMoves using Play > Play in Browser?

Sound in browsers is a gamble these days, and that's because the browser vendors change the policy from time to time.
    Example:
    https://necromanthus.com/KoolMoves/H...ns/tweens.html
    It worked perfect for many years, now you need to click on the stage to get sound.

Yes, the file plays in Explorer (after allowing Blocked Content) perfectly.
    Necromanthus' file played automatically, without my clicking on anything for the sound.

I notice the Export looks a little different (I did the upgrade) and instead of html animation, it's just code? Anyway, I think the problem may be:

<audio preload="auto" id="aud1" autoplay="autoplay">

because I want it to sound on the different buttons, not automatically. So if you will kindly tell me what to type in, I can follow it mindlessly. (I used to do this with free "recipes" and made all kinds of strange things, like animated mouse pointers.)

Thanks for your help!

Super Moderator
    There seems to be a size limit on a post so I will continue here:

In my testing yesterday, I did find a problem with sound applied at the key frame level. I tried to have the sound start at the second key frame but it started immediately. When I looked in the exported code, I see that autoplay is set so the sound will start immediately. As Remus pointed out in a previous post, there is a problem with browser sound that isn't initiated by a mouse click or mouse movement. That is probably why I set the autoplay for frame sound because I didn't have a solution at the time.

It is at the top of my list to see if I can fix frame sound. I am going to test the SoundJS code from the CreateJS people to see if it solves the problem.

The bottom line is that button sound works OK. It doesn't have a browser issue because it is initiated by a mouse click or movement.

Super Moderator
    Yesterday I tested sound initiated by a mouse click on a button and separately by mouse movement over a button. Both work correctly. I have previously tested this many times.

I was delayed in doing this testing because I recently lost audio on my computer probably caused by a Windows 10 update that took me some time to resolve.

The audio tag for button sound does NOT have the autoplay tag set, so I can infer from your statement that your <audio tag contains autoplay="autoplay" that you have added the sound at the key frame level rather than at the button level.

Sound added at the key frame level looks like _m.sound({at:71,id:"aud0"}) in the html code whereas sound added at the button level looks like btn0.sound({mouse:"down",id:"aud0"}).

Sound added at the key frame level is triggered to start when a specified key frame starts. Sounded at the button level is triggered to start by either a mouse click or mouse movement over the button.

To set at the button level, click on Sound in the Properties panel for the button. If the Properties panel doesn't appear docked to the right of the stage, select Views > Properties or double-click on the button on the stage to make the panel appear.

Since this appears to be confusing, I will add an alternative way to manage button sound.

Super Moderator
    There are issues with posting on FlashKit this morning but I got everything posted but out of order and with some typos which I am reluctant to try to correct.

It's okay, I'll try it. I love buttons. Thanks! I'll play the sound with a button, and put a little silence in front, so it's not too quick.

I also discovered the way the Output looks depends on what user mode I'm in. I didn't realize my file had changed from Advanced (or Cartoon) to Html, so it was weird to see a different set of outputs.

I'm thinking of getting a website (free of course) but I can't tell if any of these template-based sites have places where code can be inserted. But that's another topic. (This is a very quiet forum. Surely there are others interested in/getting confused by/ solving problems with KM.?)

Woo hoo! Attaching sound to Buttons works!