Thank you all in advance.

vs. CS4:

In my project, I have 2 function calls on the main (_root) timeline at frame 1 that I want to advance or retard the playhead within an externally loaded Movie Clip on the (also on the _root timeline) by the use of 2 buttons: Back and Next. These buttons reside within a Movie Clip called mcMovieBase at frame 473 and the functions are called here. The Back button is not recognized and does not call the function. The Next button, however does. I have checked spelling, coding, and references but cannot find an error till I think my head will explode and cannot find my error. Why does one work and the other fail. Help, please.

These are the function calls and they reside on the _root timeline.
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Main Timeline (_root)

Next Button

// ---Define the control variable

var rvarCUSelBtnFrm = 1; / variable for tracking and executing the Back/Next buttons in Canon pages.

// ---Define the function to advance the frame of the external .swf

function eorNextButton() { // Define the function
_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseFrameNextBtn.btnEnt erpriseFrameNextBtnA.onRelease = function() { //Set the button press
if (_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm>7) { // Test if the control variable is greater than the number of frames
_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseFrameNextBtn.gotoAn dStop("inactive"); //If so, advance the playhead of the "Next" button timeline to the "inactive" frame label
} else if (_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm<8) { //If the control variable is less than the number of frames
_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm = _root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm+1; //Add 1 to the control variable
_root.container.mcMovieBaseEnterpriseOfficer.nextF rame(); //Advance the playhead to the next frame of the external .swf
if (_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm>1) { // Test if the control variable is greater than 1
_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseFrameBackBtn.gotoAn dStop("active"); // If so, move the playhead of the "Back" button timeline to the "active" frame label
}
}
}

Back Button

// ---Define the function to retard the frame of the external .swf

function eorBackButton() { // Define the function
_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseFrameBackBtn.btnEnt erpriseFrameBackBtnA.onRelease = function() { //Set the button press
if (_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm<2) { // Test if the control value is less than 2
_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseFrameBackBtn.gotoAn dStop("inactive"); //if so, move the playhead of the "Back button to the "inactive" timeline frame label
} else if (_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm>1) { // Test if the control value is greater than 1
_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm = _root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm-1; // If so, subtract 1 from the control variable
_root.container.mcMovieBaseEnterpriseOfficer.nextF rame(); // Retard the playhead to the previous frame of the external .swf
if (_root.rvarCUSelBtnFrm<8) { // Test if the control variable is less than the number of frames in the external .swf
_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseFrameNextBtn.gotoAn dStop("active"); // If so, move the playhead of the "Next" button timeline to the "active" frame label
}
}
}
}
__________________________________________________ ________________________

The function calls are on frame 473 of the mcMovieBase Timeline.

Frame 473 (mcMovieBase Timeline

_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseBackBtn.gotoAndStop ("inactive");
_root.mcMovieBase.mcbEnterpriseNextBtn.gotoAndStop ("active");

_root.eorBackButton();
_root.eorNextButton();

The structure looks like this:

_root: Graphic Timeline (mcMovieBase), Actions (Variables, function calls, etc), Labels (Frame labels). Additionally, the external .swf container is dynamically created here (_level0) with
createEmptyMovieClip())
--> mcMovieBase: Multiple frames (including the frame with the Next and Back Buttons)

The buttons are designed thus:

mcbEnterpriseBackBtn --> btnEnterpriseBackBtnI mcbEnterpriseNextBtn --> btnEnterpriseNextBtnI
--> btnEnterpriseBackBtnA --> btnEnterpriseNextBtnA
--> btnEnterpriseBackBtnS --> btnEnterpriseNextBtnS

mcb = multi-cell button
btn = button
I = inactive state (unselectable)
A = active state (available for selection)
S = selected state (button selected & unavailable for selection)

Additional note: If I apply this coding directly to the button instances (btnEnterpriseBackBtnA) using on(release){ both buttons work correctly. I am genuinely stumped for an answer. Hopefully one you you folks can see what I am apparently blind to. Thanks in advance!!!