A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: High DPI Display

High DPI Display

I've actually been meaning to ask this for a while now. Is it possible to add High DPI to KoolShow / KoolMoves? On my laptop, it's 225% DPI and the UI (text, icons) is very small. I have to do a compatibility mode and let the OS scale the app but then the UI is slightly blurry.

Super Moderator
    I think the only way is for the application to provide the option to use larger icons. That would mean recreating many hundreds of icons -- a monumental task. Any other approach that increases icon size will produce blurriness.

The text size is controlled by the dpi setting in Windows. The size of some text like in lists can be controlled in File > Preferences.

I will look into it further.

Windows on its own doesn't do a great job of controlling/scaling DPI, be it text or image. In PureBasic I have to enable DPI in the compiler options and then use...

Code:
    Global DPI.f = DesktopResolutionX() ;This returns 2.25 on my setup.

;Then I have to do the following to what needs resized...

ResizeImage(1, 128 * DPI, 128 * DPI)
    What ever language you're using I'm sure may be a bit different but same procedure. It is a task for sure. Specially for all the text and image gadgets in KoolMoves/KoolShow.

I'll just use KoolShow on my Desktop PC for now. Bigger screen there anyway.
    Last edited by FLASHPULSE; 08-10-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Super Moderator
    How much larger do the icons need to be? I use Visual Studio with Microsoft Foundation Class C++.

I've done them at double size. I guess one day, with 8k monitors, they may be even larger one day.

Quote Originally Posted by FLASHPULSE View Post
    Is it possible to add High DPI to KoolShow / KoolMoves? On my laptop, it's 225% DPI and the UI (text, icons) is very small. I have to do a compatibility mode and let the OS scale the app but then the UI is slightly blurry.
    What's your laptop screen resolution?
    At this moment, KoolMoves looks good on any resolution from 1280x720 to 1920x1080.
    I know there're 4K laptops on the market, but ...
    Honestly, anything above FHD (1920x1080) is not a good choice for a 15 or 17 inch screen.
    You will ruin your eyes very fast!

Quote Originally Posted by necromanthus View Post
    What's your laptop screen resolution?
    Good morning Remus!

It's a Microsoft Surface Pro 7. Res is 2736 x 1824 at a DPI of 225%. It came at 200% DPI but I had to bump it a bit.

Super Moderator
    I can, with considerable effort, bump the text size. I will have to inspect/fiddle with each dialog box (probably about a thousand).

I will also investigate increasing icon size. Most of the icons are placed horizontally in several large bitmap files. I will have to experiment with resizing without incurring too much blurriness.

You aren't the first person to make this request and the situation will only become worse over time.

Sounds good Bob, no rush. But yes, with higher resolutions on the rise, it is inevitable.

If you create a small test in KoolMoves or KoolShow before doing many changes, I would be glad to check it out. Unless you already have a High DPI display to test it on.
    Last edited by FLASHPULSE; 08-11-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLASHPULSE View Post
    Good morning Remus!

It's a Microsoft Surface Pro 7. Res is 2736 x 1824 at a DPI of 225%. It came at 200% DPI but I had to bump it a bit.
    Yes, that height=1824 pixels is almost double compared to FHD (1080px).
    You need to scale up everything (buttons and text) with 80-100% to look similar with FHD.
    It will be a nightmare for Bob ...

Super Moderator
    I think this is the first time in about 20 years that Remus has expressed any compassion for me!

Quote Originally Posted by necromanthus View Post
    It will be a nightmare for Bob ...
    Agreed. That's a lot of work.

Super Moderator
    I have made some progress. I have tried about half a dozen upsampling methods to increase icon size by 2X. Nearest neighbor might be the best. I have also tried a fancy/huge program called Topaz Gigabyte AI. That didn't produce good results but I am trying a different setting.

Do you need new icons created? How many do you think there are in total?

Super Moderator
    There are hundreds of icons. Many of them are part of large horizontal images (kind of like sprite sheets). I changed the settings in Topaz Gigapixel AI software and got excellent 2x enlargement for most of the files with no fuzziness. The software (with different models is about 2GB in size) claims that 600% enlargement is possible. There was supposed to be a watermark but I don't see any (the software is expensive if I were to buy it). That hurdle which was the most challenging of the tasks has been largely accomplished. The next task is to figure out how to integrate these larger icons into the gui.

Visual Studio doesn't have a "DPI Awareness" option/feature?

Super Moderator
    It does. It is set in both products to High DPI Aware. It creates an entry in the manifest.