A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: that great "screen font" look

Everytime you create text in Flash in Anti-Aliases automatically for you. Yet I have seen many examples of non anti-aliased fonts on numerous flash sites. How does one go about creating this effect in Flash?????

Thanks

Please help us

When you find out let me know.
    The only two ways i can think it will work is if you load the text data into loaction or if you us strings to send the text into thenamed loaction. This was mentioned in new masters of flash under manuel clements section for loading. I dont quit know how to adapt it to my situation yet but i will figure it out? someday lol

Thanks Hubie

forgot to add

You have a interesting style. Is your site version 2.0 or is it still in development. I would like to see more of your work.

Eat Rice!
    the only way i know how to do this is to use one of the three device fonts. i.e. typewriter.

Originally posted by riceraver
    the only way i know how to do this is to use one of the three device fonts. i.e. typewriter.
    How do i use these device fonts?

Peace Hubie

Eat Rice!
    when selecting which font to use, pick the font. This is the downside. You only have 3 choices for font if you want crisp fonts. They are boring so you need to choose which is more important to you.

Another way

when using tiny text try putting it as gif, you know...you create in FW a gif with the text with no antialias an export, as you export it in 2 colors the fike will be tiny too. I will looks amazing. dont forget to uncheck the smooth option when you place the file into flash.

with device fonts i have got troubles as the site was viewed in diferent platforms, i mean, as the device font are in the users machine, i varies betwen platforms, it varies kerning, size, etc.

i think with gifs is the best way to have full control over your site text.

i know a site with tiny font to download for free, dont remember now but if you want i could find it out later.

hope it is usefull for you,

da 411?

as soon as you find out where the little clean fonts are let me know. So that I can put the fonts on my site that make people say thats too damn small this designer must be some sort of idiot. lol

please post it when you find it!

4 propa

check this URL:
    http://www.hi-type.de
    this guys are doing a really good job!!

Thank you!

This site is great. A must check out for fonts. At least small ones. U da Man!

Re: forgot to add

Originally posted by Propa
    You have a interesting style. Is your site version 2.0 or is it still in development. I would like to see more of your work.
    Actually versiong 2.0 is still under development... but coming soon. I took a look at some of the sites you created as well... quite impressive. Unfortunately version 1 of my site is the first time I've attempted flash, I've been working on ver2 for about 7 months now and it's going to be alot more interactive. I've thought of using an input text file because that gives the non-anti-aliased look. But can you animate text that's from a text file????

tjk

are you sure? I know that you can Scroll text from a text file if you assign it a varible name. There is a good tutorial here in flash kit that you can use and change, Maybe? Try your question in the actionscript forum.

As for the text issue. your second best bet is to try the site ralz recommended its great for the fonts. Also some of those fonts are postscript. THE GOOD STUFF for FREE!

Oh... and thanks for the compliment. my homepage will be done today of tommorow. So I would like it if you could look at it and give me your review.

Thanks Hubie

Re: tjk

Originally posted by Propa
    are you sure? I know that you can Scroll text from a text file if you assign it a varible name. There is a good tutorial here in flash kit that you can use and change, Maybe? Try your question in the actionscript forum.

As for the text issue. your second best bet is to try the site ralz recommended its great for the fonts. Also some of those fonts are postscript. THE GOOD STUFF for FREE!

Oh... and thanks for the compliment. my homepage will be done today of tommorow. So I would like it if you could look at it and give me your review.

Thanks Hubie
    Just give me an e-mail when your page is complet... I'd love to see it. tyler@csolve.net