A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I make a MC play on Button's down-stroke?!

Arrow

Well I'm not a newbie with flash, but I just can't seem to figure out what I'm sure is a VERY simple thing. Hopefully one of you guys can help me here. How does one go about making a movie clip or graphic play after someone clicks a button. I am inserting the move clip into the DOWN stroke of the button... but when i do that, you have to hold down on the mouse button to make it play entirely. How do i make it so you just click the button and it plays the whole movie clip? If anyone understands what I am saying, please help! Thanks.
    [steven]

I'm guessing this might be what you're after...

The button should be placed onstage in Scene 1 (whether it's direct or within another move clip).

Select the button onstage in Scene1 (not in the timeline) and create an On ( event ) gotoandplay ("sceneorframe",1).
    There are a several options for the event such as press, or release.

on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay (35);
    }

When the button is pressed and released, the action associated with it is triggered. This is why you have to hold down to get the full MC to play.

How did you get your scroll window to work? I've been trying all kinds of shiznik.

Thanks
    Good Luck

Arrow thnx

Hey man. thanks for the advice! About the scroll buttons... well I believe i learned the wonders of scrolling in flash from a tutorial on this very site a while back! I really couldn't give you a short response.. it's a pretty extensive process (or maybe i'm just incredibly ignorant, lol). Just search the tutorials on here for SCROLL or SCROLLING or something to that effect; I'm sure you will find something on it. Thnx again, take it easy...
    [steven]

About scrolling, there's something at:
    http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~ra001968/...0scrollbar.fla

About the down state button, if you wanna play it after the button is released, you must place it somewhere else than the button down state, because it (the down state) is only displayed when the button is held down. You need to follow that advice, place the movie at the main stage or somewhere else than the button and add a targeting play action.

Regards,
    Leo Lima