A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Good questions...

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

How do you think we can measure innovation in design, especialy web design? I mean does it come down to just something that hasn't been done before or a fresh reworking of previous (print) styles or is it just personal opinion about what's cool etc at the end of it all?

diavolo

I think it's going away from that intro->main->sub interface style to something totally new.

Good commercial sites should take the user and show them where he can find the personalized content in a very intelligent way.

Content-Navigation concepts will be something to newly think about.

I measure good design like this:

I don't even look at 2 pages of the site, its either rubbish, slow or the same as everything else that seems to be appearing lately

I browse the site thoroughly, clicking links to see what happens, the style is innovative and I like it

I browse it fully and tell someone else about it - the design is amazing

just my opinion though!

i see the web as any other kind of medium. you get what you put into it. the way design is innovative is by new ways of seeing. it's all subjective but design has certain rules that are applied to every medium. how does one become innovative in painting, photography, or sculpture? new ways of interpreting design and its tools. the tool doesn't make the artist a designer, the concept does.

Honestly, not much on the Internet holds my interest lately. I guess it's becuase all my favorite and frequented sites I see so often, and I"m not really finding anything too new. And the mediocre sites out there, sure, if they're posted on FK, I'll do my best to give them some ideas for changing things up.
    But for some reason, not much is catching my eye anymore, I'm the kind of person where I see the graphics, if it does not catch my eye in two seconds, I exit that page. sometimes I'll stick around, but not often.

Sam, you actually get credit here (and you already know that) for the new Stumede site you showed [I just had a 5 minute discussion with someone at work as to if "showed" is a word-for some reason it sounds absurd to me to use show in that manner as past tense. We looked it up in the dictionary, and it is a word. still, it sounds wierd]
    Moving on... the site you showed me was quite cool, the visual style was really minimal, but even if I did you know you, that site would get bookmarked by me. A big up for Diavolo.

mg33

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

thanks mike..I am almost finished with it too.. just need some more content for the sound section..I can't wait to show everyone.

d

break the paradigm

I would like to see designs or interfaces that go beyond the conventional paradigms...something like the no. of menu's hould not be more than 7 or how we look ata page is from the left to the right and trule of two/thirds etc ...I would like to see those paradigms broken in a very subtle way and still the user is very comfortable .... on the sight...

Cheers
    gary sapra

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    IMHO, the word INNOVATIVE started meaning something not seen before, but has become the synonim for a way of creating sites. For example, we might decide that sites like Praystation, 2Advanced and the lot are innovative, but they have been there for ages! (A month in the net is a looong time...).

So now, if someone creates a clone of the mentioned sites is considered innovative?!? , while some other sites are considered "naff", "pretentious" or simply tacky because they do not enter the square concept of the actual term innovative...

Davis

diavolos flashing banner

is it just me or does diavolo's flashing pulsing banner under all his/her notes drive everyone nuts as they're trying to read?

jen

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Re: diavolos flashing banner

Originally posted by jenhotarse
    is it just me or does diavolo's flashing pulsing banner under all his/her notes drive everyone nuts as they're trying to read?

jen
    Sorry about that..you can get rid of it if you want by reading this thread:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...threadid=57972

d

diavolo maybe just slow down the footer's tempo or something

Sam, turning off all flash footers is a bit drastic when someone is bugged by only one. not really a solution to me.
    that pulsing is kind of hard on the eyes, I feel seizures coming on...

mg33

Diavolo [sam?] there's one good thing about your blinking banner, aggravation, I mean good aggravation, like humming a song you can't stand, it get's in your head and without you knowing it, you like it. I think I like your banner now, it really bugged me before but now when I see it on the page very fondly I try to hide it any way possible, then sometimes, I go back and sneak a peek to see how much more aggravated I can get, just like when I see dog poop I know it'll disgust me but I still look, you have something here. This would probably be a good way to design certain webpages, aggravate your audience, they hate you but a small percentage will actually start liking it unconciously.

jen

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Originally posted by jenhotarse
    Diavolo [sam?] there's one good thing about your blinking banner, aggravation, I mean good aggravation, like humming a song you can't stand, it get's in your head and without you knowing it, you like it. I think I like your banner now, it really bugged me before but now when I see it on the page very fondly I try to hide it any way possible, then sometimes, I go back and sneak a peek to see how much more aggravated I can get, just like when I see dog poop I know it'll disgust me but I still look, you have something here. This would probably be a good way to design certain webpages, aggravate your audience, they hate you but a small percentage will actually start liking it unconciously.

jen
    I am glad my footer is in the same category a dog poop. j/k
    I actually like my footer..it is under size requirements 4k and is eye catching. It may destract you from reading,but it makes you look at it... hah and that's the whole point.