A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pinball anyone?

Wink

I want to create a flash pinball game is this something Flash is capable of doing or should I look into Director? If this is something do-able in Flash would you have any ideas how I could get started?

Anyone?

I started building a pinball game in flash 4 - but gave up because of the poor keyboard control support!

BUT flash 5 has much better keyboard control - 'cause it can detect keyup as well as keydown.

So to answer you question - yes you should be able to do a pinball game in flash 5

OK so how to start.

(1) think about the basics of the game - which is really a ball moving around a table and bouncing off stuff.

So you start by getting a ball moving around a table - just give it a steady speed to start with (you can add friction etc later)
    And work on getting the ball to bounce off the sides of the table.

(2) try adding acceleration (ie: it will speed up going down and slow down goign up) and paddles - which will accelerate the ball in the reverse direction on collision

(3) add in all the other stuff

dd

That's the thing, how do you make the ball randomly bounce around like that? Accelerate and Decelerate, how does that work? Any idea?

Thanks again for your input.

MOD wannabe

--------

Here is what i've done. http://www14.brinkster.com/yanbuzz/pinsound.html

It's a BETA version but it might help you. Take a look at it and if U like it i'll share some of my tricks....

Made with Flash4. I've made this with almost no actionscript. The action is based on (goto's)... It's a cheap and lazy way to do it but it look and (Almost) feel like the real thing. Almost cuz the flippers cant be held up and there are some other little bugs...

If you try it, there is a warp zone to add as many balls as you want. Just press "+" button whe you lose a ball. This way you'll be able to see every levels....
    [Edited by yanbuzz on 01-19-2001 at 09:13 PM]

Senior Moderator
    Making a real pinball game with real physcis etc.. would take some time, but at the same time would be a good challenge and will help you touch up on your math skills!

It will involve alot of irregular collisions, gravity, friction and the rest!

Yanbuzz, you are a badass! That is exactly what I am trying to do. Please share, I would greatly appreciate that!!! Awesome job!! You made that in Flash 4??? Wow!

Thanks guys for all your help!! You are truly Gods!

MOD wannabe

Question ----

After seeing the codes, you wont say i'm a god anymore. It's really stupid. I even feel a little shame sharing-it. The fact is that some Flashers are more visual artists and some are more like programmers and wiz-kid...I'm nothing between this. I'm more like a poser...

http://www14.brinkster.com/yanbuzz/pinsound.fla

take note that i will leave the fla on this server not more then 48h.

If there are things you dont understand just ask...

To be honest Yanbuzz, I don't care what it(the code) looks like as long as it works....and obviously it works!!! Thanks a million. I took a look at the code and there is nothing wrong with the way you developed this, at least you were smart enough to figure it out. Thanks for all your help.

MOD wannabe

---

Thanks. I'm honnored !!!

You can also have a look at FlipOut. Its a hybrid Fliper game with billiard type, closeable pockets, moveable bumpers and some more strange features at

http://www.estradmusik.se/pp/flipout.html

I did it like this because I could not get the flippers to work properly, but it includes all the gravity, friction, bouncing as it should.

http://www.pellepiano.com

hey everyone, how bout a lil help?
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...threadid=89041

Very cool Pelle, it has the same concept/idea. Was that made in Flash 4 or 5? By the way... very cool site!

Thanks. The FlipOut game is done in Flash 4. I hired a real programmer for the bumper interaction, cause all the trigonometric scrpting is beyond me.

If you want an introduction to ball-ball collision physics go here. I did not include any source because it is pretty simple once you know how to do it and I am kind of not at liberty to do so. But, the good thing is that you can find sources (I think) in the movies section here.

Good luck.

Smile your game is very good!!!

hey yanbuzz!!!
    i saw your game, and is very good. i tried to see the fla but there were nothing in that link!
    can you put it online again please, i really need some help in that because i wanted to do a pinball and i didnt know if flash could do it.
    Thanks a lot pinball master !!! (hehe)