A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Money...Pasta...Guita...

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar

Smile

If I am not mistaken, there is not a coherence between companies about how much should be charged for creating a site. I mean, if I go to buy bread, there will not be massive differences between shops.

But when it comes to web design, it looks like everyone can charge whatever they want??!?

3 questions:

1) Does this happens because the clients are still "newbies" refering to design so designers charge more than they should?

2) Will this change eventually when competition grows and clients are more aware about how much should be charged for a site?

3) Is it really worth to get a design from a top tech company when there are a few freelancers out there capable of creating wonders for one tenth of the prize?

David

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

1) Does this happens because the clients are still "newbies" refering to design so designers charge more than they should?
    Don't think so--If you are talking about freelancers that is. I think many designers are honest--the good ones anyway, have right to charge what is worked. It is hard --you got deadlines, apps to buy, media editing, converting media, flash work, html, scripts, bills, sometimes hosting...all while keeping the client happy. We should charge more!

We are using a service called webpronow for our design company--the client enters how much he/she is willing to spend, specifications, timetable on the project and it goes to many vendors. We have to pretty much bid for the project--if we are lucky we get it. So really the buyer/client gets the best end of the deal.

Bread and design are two different things..although I woundn't mind making bread for a living.

2) Will this change eventually when competition grows and clients are more aware about how much should be charged for a site?

yes I think so-but then again there is already competiton from 15 year-olds who would do it very cheap!

3) Is it really worth to get a design from a top tech company when there are a few freelancers out there capable of creating wonders for one tenth of the prize?
    No it's not-Where do you think top notch companies get there people?

d

Eat Rice!
    big name companies are just like name brand clothing. Sure, you have a big nike swoosh or polo everywhere on your shirt but is it REALLY worth all the extra money you spent?? I'll be happy with no name brand clothing that looks just like the big boys. Catch my drift?

I think one of the biggest influences on design fees are location. If you look at design company locations on a global scale and compare it to population and technology density you'll definately see a trend. A design firm located in nowheresville, Idaho will have lower fees than a densely populated area like california.

It makes no regard to the quality of a firms work. Company A could be just as good if not better than company B yet they charge maybe half the price.

Supply and Demand. It's all about college economics class.