A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone here Irish?

Im just wondering if anyone here is Irish. And I mean who actually lives in Ireland, and not some American who has some obscure relative who knew an Irishman....

I resent that comment! My grandparents grew up in Ireland, I am Irish descent.

Why dont you say is anyone here from Ireland?
    Regards,
    Kyle McDermott,...heavy on the MC

I'm Irish. What part you from Covenent? ~ mgb

I`m Italian but.....I`m green on the outside..heres one of me walking in the park..."to be shure to be shure"..

Do I qualify??

OH MAN!

I knew this would happen!
    The Irish stereotype seems to be one used more often then any other one.
    Were not all red heads (I only know 2 redheads) we arent all called Paddy, and we dont go around wearing green all day, seeing bad pub songs!

Im from Co.Wicklow mgb, where are you from? The South or North?

Oh and DigitalOne you are of Irish decendent, but that does not make you Irish! Its amazing the amount of people who claim to be Irish who actually arent, and for some reason (most probably due to the emmigration during the plague) most of them seem to be American! Parts of my family are English, my parents lived in Zambia for years, but that doesnt make me English or Zambian, I am Irish, it is where I was born and raised (16 years, in the same house)! So I really dont see why you should resent that comment...

Im ot from Eire but theres a great thing come from there!

GUINESS!

Smile G'wan the Dubs!

Hey Covenent+MGB,
    Good to see a few from the "Emerald Isle" up on Flashkit.
    I just moved over to Detroit from Dublin, where I'm getting an earful of the usual "I'm Irish too,......well....me granny had an Irish wolfhound...does that count? :-) Can't blame them though. Good looking bastards that we are!
    What is the Flash scene like in Ireland. Are there any jobs going over there? I'm just outside Detroit and they have barely heard of Flash! I guess that suits me 'cos there's less competition!!
    Suckin Diesel!
    Ronan

Re: G'wan the Dubs!

Hi conenant. I'm going from Dublin to Cork via Tipperary but am originally from Tipp. I'm just freelancing at the moment. Not exactly an explosion of Flash conciousness here Ronan, but it will get big soon i think. mgb

Re: OH MAN!

Give me a break! Were you serious just now? Are so many people really "claiming" to be Irish?...and are you really that "amazed"? You make it sound like everyone is rushing to be affiliated with being Irish. Your entire post is stupid. You specifically worded it to be a boastful didactic jerk. And on top of that you are sixteen? I'm sure you have explored your heritage thorougly to rightfully claim you are "Irish". But, what does any of that ancestral garbage have anything to do with it? Its soley based on where you were born and raised right?

Agreed Ahab, I suppose if he set foot out of Ireland for 10 minutes he would no longer be Irish. Then he would be a tainted Westerner.
    I used to think I was Irish, being a McDermott and all, but according to this dude Im not. Which works fine for me seeings how hes draggin their name through the mud.

hey Covenent, i'm from Cork!

Ok, for dolemite and ahab:
    I am not trying to boast about being Irish, neither I am trying to make it look like that we (the Irish people) are better then anyone else; in fact I would say the apposite in some cases, there is an unbeliveable amount of ignorant and racist people in Ireland, and I am afraid to admit that I know some of them. I believe that one shouldnt have pride in their country of origin simply because they come from there, but rather since they have put much into their place of origin and so in my opinion deserve it.

Its a simple fact that on your birth certificate your place of birth, is unsurprisingly where you were born, and later in life your country of origin, is where you were born, and current residence is where you live. So having foreign relatives (no matter how closely related they are) doesnt make you a citizen of their country. I have a friend whos second name is Buttner (yes lets all laugh) and that is a German name; he is not German, none of his family are German, and he doesnt speak German, and has never been to Germany, and so he is not German, and does not see himself to be German either!

As for me exploring my Irish hertitage...
    Ive lived in Ireland all my life, I have been surrounded by Irish culture my whole life. I have never been abroad (and maybe this makes me biased) and so my whole life has been Irish. I have studied Irish for most of my life, I have learned Irish history for the past 5 years; I have studied Irish Geography for 4 years. Now I would say that gives me the right to claim myself to be "Irish".

I dont want to get into a big long debate over the subject, and I just hope you see my point. And I dont hate people who say they are Irish, but who arent from Ireland; I just get annoyed sometimes by people who say they are Irish, and cant locate Ireland on a map, never mind tell you anything about Ireland, these people do exsist and I have had personal conversation with them.

Anyway...

Ronan I havent seen a great Flash infleunce in Ireland, but then again I am only young; a lot of people I know who do computer courses, and graphics courses havent even heard of Flash which I found quite surprising.
    I am (hopefully) going to college soon, after I do my leaving in cert. in June and I am hoping to get into Computing Multimedia, and webdesign but I havent seen any courses that really suit what I am looking for.

I havent been to Cork myself, but it does seem to be the place to go to study computers; Dublin has barely any computers courses worth talking about.

Well if you want to change everything around why not say you are from Scotland?

I am not trying to boast about being Irish, neither I am trying to make it look like that we (the Irish people) are better then anyone else;
    Well, thats good to know because I made no mention of anything like that in my post.
    in fact I would say the apposite in some cases, there is an unbeliveable amount of ignorant and racist people in Ireland, and I am afraid to admit that I know some of them.
    Completely irrelevant...you will have those people no matter where you live.
    Its a simple fact that on your birth certificate your place of birth, is unsurprisingly where you were born, and later in life your country of origin, is where you were born, and current residence is where you live. So having foreign relatives (no matter how closely related they are) doesnt make you a citizen of their country.
    What is that all about? We are talking about residency now? When exactly did citizenship come into play? The main point was that whether you are citizen or not does not change your nationality.
    I have a friend whos second name is Buttner (yes lets all laugh) and that is a German name; he is not German, none of his family are German, and he doesnt speak German, and has never been to Germany, and so he is not German, and does not see himself to be German either!
    Compare what you just said and what DigitalOne said. His grandparents lived in Ireland which is a pretty strong link to being Irish. And now you go off on some tangent about a guy with a German last name and how he knows nothing of Germans.
    And I dont hate people who say they are Irish, but who arent from Ireland; I just get annoyed sometimes by people who say they are Irish, and cant locate Ireland on a map, never mind tell you anything about Ireland, these people do exsist and I have had personal conversation with them.
    What a very stupid thing to get annoyed about or hate someone for. So you have had personal coversations with people who cannot locate Ireland on a map? Please tell me that I am not the only one who thinks that is made up.

Maybe I am a pretty unforgiving person but you have already rubbed me the wrong way. You shouldn't really care what I think anyway (nor should I of you)...the internet is too impersonal to take anything serious.

Re: Well if you want to change everything around why not say you are from Scotland?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ahab

Maybe I am a pretty unforgiving person but you have already rubbed me the wrong way.
    ??To be honest with you Brendan...he seemed to explain himself rather well??..
    Originally posted by ahab

You shouldn't really care what I think anyway (nor should I of you)...the internet is too impersonal to take anything serious. [/B]
    Do you really believe that??..I cant believe you live by that Brendan...You have too much of a generous character in you...

Tony

CIT (cork instatute of tech.) seems to be the best place to do computers

Compare what you just said and what DigitalOne said. His grandparents lived in Ireland which is a pretty strong link to being Irish. And now you go off on some tangent about a guy with a German last name and how he knows nothing of Germans.
    My parents lived in Zambia for years that doesnt make them Zambian. This is all off the point, and I dont think anyone really cares about our exchange of words.

But I must ask is anythig I say going to make you happy?
    If you want I will withdraw my previous comments, despite my beliefs; is that ok?

Did you go to college, daren666? If you did could you tell me what you studied, because I am still looking for a good course in the whole web design, computer graphics area.

Senior Moderator

Re: Re: OH MAN!

Originally posted by ahab
    Give me a break! Were you serious just now? Are so many people really "claiming" to be Irish?...and are you really that "amazed"? You make it sound like everyone is rushing to be affiliated with being Irish. Your entire post is stupid. You specifically worded it to be a boastful didactic jerk. And on top of that you are sixteen? I'm sure you have explored your heritage thorougly to rightfully claim you are "Irish". But, what does any of that ancestral garbage have anything to do with it? Its soley based on where you were born and raised right?

Chill out man, you said it yourself that the internet is too impersonal to take anything seriously!

jeeezzz...

Scottish here dude! And wAS wering my kilt on Sat night - Burns Night u c! Total patriot here dude!

Ruggers

Re: Re: Re: OH MAN!

Originally posted by FlashGuru
    Chill out man, you said it yourself that the internet is too impersonal to take anything seriously!

jeeezzz...
    Excuse me? Were you not the one who revived this dead topic? Do not tell me to "chill" out.