A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anyone in college taking any great Internet/Technology courses?

I'm just curious as to who out there is taking courses in Technology and Internet related topics. Not so much graphic design and web design, rather more along the lines of lecture courses, current issues and such.

I'm in my final semester of college, and I'm taking an Internet Marketing course as well as a Communication Technology course.
    Both are going to teach me a ton of new stuff, and though I'm a bit more on the creative/graphics side, anything I can learn is more than fine with me.

For those of you taking classes like these, are you just taking them to take them, or are you really intrigued to be "in the know" about the latest issues and ideas as far as Internet and Technology go?

I really believe that even if we have one focus (such as Flash development, graphic design, javascript, etc) everything that we can learn and know contributes to the "package" of knowledge we have and can apply in what we do.

So, share your thoughts.

mg33

Nope, I went to college for Computer Systems Technician, and I did webdesign freelance for fun. Funny how occupations change, heh. I was an art student long before I was a technician.

I use that skill a lot still even though i'm a web developer. I just like to pick up as much as I can along the way. Most of my knowledge is self taught anyways. I've been everywhere from hardware/software technician, php, perl, html programming to architectural drafting and art and art theories.

My outlook is that you can never learn to much and every little bit of knowledge helps to build your skillset as a whole.

I actually had the pleasure of taking an excellent course at Pratt titled "Computer Graphics in Context" which put all computer imaging in perspective as related to modernist and particularly Post-Modernist art, and opened my eyes to a lot of fine art work being done with computers that I might have missed otherwise. There were also some great guest speakers, and the class was split into groups to give student presentations on a topic of interest to them - I was part of a group which presented Technology and tecnhiques in digital medical imaging - pretty fascinating stuff. And a refreshing break from the mostly technical classes which usually fill the schedule of a design school student.

mg & all

maybe not college but I just gotta brag on my youngest un. Still in high school his junior/senior year.

Seems the networking gang has a shortage of people. CISCO has networking academy's also set up in some high schools (the one he goes to). So last year (sophmore) he sits down with his schedule and starts crunching numbers. Then he says "if I go to summer school this summer I can graduate next year". Sure enough he can do it. So he passes summer school and is ready for start of Junior/Senior year.

On his original schedule he put down "webmastering" for a class. I looked at what was offered and saw the CISCO classes. Told him to think about CISCO instead of webmastering. He did just that and got into CISCO. Well they called him into the counsellors office and told him he had too many academic classes and needed to change one. Gee he gave up a science class and got webmastering again. Go figure.

So here he is going to graduate at 16 taking classes we could never dream about and this summer going to finish his CISCO and get his CCNA.

The kid is a wiz and will go to college. All he told me is "tell me what to take and I'll do it". Why am I leaning towards Computer/Electrical Engineer?

Sorry to go on but had to brag. And CISCO in high school is also a good deal.

Bob S.

hey ^-^
    i'm a cs major, but my interests are more towards the creative side of it (yes i'm convinced there is a creative side to comp sci), so i self-teach myself all the design/graphics applications i need to know ...but having knowledge in cs definately helps (and not just with actionscript) hopefully some time soon i'll be able to just write a graphics program to paint the way I want it to ^-^
    to actually answer a question and not just babble...college courses are useful and fun but to be honest i think that it all depends on a person to stay on top of things simply because its impossible to review curriculum that often...so i get all my "new and happening" stuff from online (yay slashdot)

bobnsons-Congrats about your son, that's excellent that he has those oppurtunities.

There's a member here on Flashkit who's a bit of a younger fellow (themasterguru) although I'm not sure how much he posts on here.
    Anyhow, he's part of an organization we started in Texas for Flash users, designers, etc. I never knew he was 17, and I finally met him last weekend at a meeting we had. Very impressive, he was taking html and ASP courses at my university sometime in the last year.
    I don't often see younger kids around me who really seem to know their stuff, many, unfortunatly are just arrogant, big-headed kids who don't know much, and they think they're going to become some legend and master of flash just by "thinking" about it-not really ever pushing themselves as many others do.
    And I stress here that I'm not classifying all younger people in this manner. But they exist, and that makes me even happier when I see someone younger really pushing themselves, really having tons of talent. I saw that in TheMasterGuru, and it doesn't happen often.

CNO You're going to get it if you mention those cool classes at Pratt. As I've told you before, I would really like to go to grad school there in CGIM, there is so much more I want to learn and be immersed in. (Mostly the hip, party till dawn, spend money like water on various fashions, hunting down supermodels aspects of NYC are the alluring part to me...)
    Anyhow, not sure if I'm going to go for it this year, I've not done any applications yet.

Anyhow, Take Care,

mg33

I am currently completeing my last semster of high school, for the last two years I have been taking a class that prepares me for the A+ and Net+ Cetificaton exams, also this semester I am taking classes at the local university in SQL and SQL server. I am very excited about graduating and going on to college. I hope to get into the internet technology/design field as it would be awesome to do what I love for a living. As long as i earn enogh money to have a place to live and season pass to the local snowboarding resort.