A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ummmm, what book are you reading?

I just started Moby Dick again and started Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golder Braid the other day.

YES!!!! DEAR GOD YESS!!!

Yes When I read that book Not just flash worked suffered but all spare time!! Neal Stephenson's work is really great.
    I share your pain man

David

Welcome to flavour country
    Glad to see some Stephen King fans here. I'm reading Hearts in Atlantis right now, but my favorite is IT. That book gives me nightmares everytime I read it.

Welcome to flavour country

have you ever heard of paul auster?? He's a great modern writer (there aren't many) from new york... his early stuff is the best, he writes beautifully, heavily influenced in his themes by camus and sartre and in his style by the paintings of edward hopper. His writing has recently become less sparing and i think he is turning into a modern-day mark twain... if this sounds interesting i recommend you pick up 'the new york trilogy' or 'leviathan'. Compare these with his more recent works like 'mr vertigo'.
    [/B]
    Paul Auster rules!! I started with Music of Chance and was overwhelmed by the characters and totally odd story. I haven't read his newest Timbuktu but his autobiography and assorted oddities Hand to Mouth was extremely interesting.

Im re-reading the best book on the planet!
    Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
    and ive just finished
    Insomnia By Stephen King

But if you like fantasy and you dont know what to read - hget the Riftwar Saga (MAgician, Silverthorn and A Darkness @ sethanon ) by Raymond E Feist!

I'm to lazy to read a book anyway ... which movie would be a better question

I probably spend more time reading than anything else -- no other medium can convey the same intensity and diversity of sensation as the written word.

I just finished a biography of Peter Cook (comedian from the sixties who died a few years back) which was fascinating and heartbreaking, and Between Silk and Cyanide by Leo Marks, which tells the author's story of creating and cracking secret agents' codes in the Second World War - the story was gripping but the style was a bit intrusive for my liking.

Right now I'm starting on Linux for Dummies, to help me get to grips with this spare PC I just got set up...

the link!

hello again readers,

some interesting stuff mentioned so far.....

being a sad one I thought I could entice people to actually buy Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, since it's so damned good I feel I cannot rest until I've told everyone how much I like it!

Here's the (uk) Amazon URL for Cryptonomicon

thanks for all the replies,

jim

error

oops!
    [Edited by Jim on 01-24-2001 at 09:46 AM]

a big list of books.......aka fk book club!

Okay, so i'm off work sick and looking after my daughter who's asleep at the moment. Since there seem to be so many avid FK readers out there I wanted to share some of my best reads in the hope that they will produce similar feelings of enjoyment/awe/inspiration etc in others.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson. A rather scary read, but well worth it. Much better than the film (of course!)

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera. A moving, sad, poetic novel. Kundera has a wonderful style, this one is great if you want lots of tragedy, misunderstandings and bad communication leading to horrible things.

Catch22 - Joseph Heller. A true classic, what more to say?

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey. This is about 1000 times better than the film. Made me want to laugh and cry and shout....the fishing trip is completely fantastic.

Dispatches - Michael Herr. One journalists take on the Vietnam War. Not macho hollywood rubbish, just honest, sad and evocative descriptions of a very strange war.

Collected Stories - Peter Carey. A collection of strange, clever and freaky stories....

Complete Penguin Novels - George Orwell. Lots of amazing books. But doesn't include 'Down and Out in Paris in London' which is also magnificent.

Bonfire of the Vanities ' Tom Wolfe. A satire on the division in society between the white wall street 'WASPS' and the black brooklyn community.

Well, I'm about done.

I hope you check some of them out.....

jim

I'd back up your recommendations of Fear and Loathing, Catch 22 and Cuckoo's Nest (the film is great but the book is even better).

My all-time faves include:
    Shipping News by Annie Proulx -- the plot doesn't sound promising (a guy takes his kids to live in Newfoundland), but she's one of the best writers around and this is her masterpiece.

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay -- a superb balance of history and fantasy. Another great writer.

The Many-Coloured Land series by Julian May. Among the most intelligent and original sci-fi authors around, this is probably her crowning achievement.

I could go on, and on...

Rules for Radicals, by Saul Alinsky.
    A very clear-eyed look at how to get people to work together to improve their lives and communities by a guy who learned to speak the language of whoever he was talking to, with some funny and poignant examples.

it's still groovy, man,

coati

I'm in grade ten bangla.

Originally posted by squink
    I'm in grade ten bangla.
    dude your exam sounds exactly the same as mine, the essay - just finished that 2 weeks ago. wouldn't be surprised if were in the same school! lol

theWiz, you said you've read IT? so tell me what happened in the end!!! i read up to the part where the group of friends got back together and were drinking in the bar...

bob2007

Originally posted by squink
    I'm in grade ten bangla.
    cool im in 8

I'm a Senior in Highschool! Less then half the year left to go! I'm on the downhill side now. Senior Year is the only instance where going on the downhill side takes longer than getting up!

Originally posted by thewiz1972

Paul Auster rules!! I started with Music of Chance and was overwhelmed by the characters and totally odd story. I haven't read his newest Timbuktu but his autobiography and assorted oddities Hand to Mouth was extremely interesting.
    sweeet!! someone else that's heard of him

i really recommend 'in the country of the last things' and 'new york trilogy'!!

enjoy!

I love to read any english regency era novels. Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen.