A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ummmm, what book are you reading?

Evening folks

the only reason I ask is that I'm in the middle of the most incredible book I've read for ages, and would recommend it to anyone out there. The book in question is Neal Stephenson's 'Cryptonomicon', a rip-roaring tale of cryptanalysis, 2nd world war gold, pc operating systems, familial dynasties, deep-sea diving and the birth of the digital computer.

The only danger is that I have gone off Flash because reading the book is taking up almost all of my spare time.

Are there any other Neal Stephenson fans out there whose Flash creativity is suffering?

Jim

I've unfortunately prioritized work and making music over reading. Well, making music isn't unfortunate... i love it! I wrote down the name of that book, however. Thanks for the tip!

Nice question. I'm already super busy with school, but I'm trying to read something every day before I go to bed to clear my mind.
    I've started reading a book from 97 about Oasis, called Getting High pretty cool so far. lots of fighting and swearing.

I'm also going to get back to reading Walden by Thoreau, which I started reading a while back, along with The Old Man and the Sea

not enough time sometimes to do all the things I'd like to do.

mg33

Nice one

I'm busy trying to get my head arround Exam Cram-IIS 4.0 which is no fun at all.

But my last good read was One of Us by Michael Marshall-Smith set in not so distant future; where the main character looks after other peoples dreams/memories for a few days, feed to him through an advanced internet thing, but as you can probably imagine everything goes wrong.

Good Book

"ever done something you want forget"

see ya

nice...

The book that I'm reading now is called Billion and Billions by Carl Sagan. I just finished Contact By Sagan as well...

:End

Thoreau <-- I have read some of his work before and it is really awesome.

Right now I am reading O Pioneer in my class for school. I don't know why they make students read books like this one. I don't like it one bit. All the books we have read this year make Men look like bad guys!

Their Eyes Were Watching God
    Bread Givers

The Catcher in the Rye <-- Definently a favorite of mine

Senior Moderator
    Javascript the definitve guide, flash 5 magic and quantum gravity(very crazy book)

its manic these days and i get to read on the train mainly, but Im enjoying these at the moment:

Andre Breton 'Mad Love' !!!!!-->that book is just beautiful

Paul Theroux o-zone
    and Klein's No Logo!!!

A

Wichser
    books? Thats the stuff made out of paper right? LOL

well actually I am reading a book about stocks and options right now, nothing too exciting yet.

iCEBERG

Hiya!

I've just finished "Artificial Kid" by Bruce Sterling - rather cool. I also read one before that called "White Light" by Rudy Tucker - it was a story based around infinite number sets and series - super headache!!!!

Right now I'm [re]reading Stephen King's "Insomnia". I read this one about 4 years ago but went back because I ran out of Tom Clancy books to read! Ironically, it's so gripping that it's causing me to stay up later and later just reading it - Insomnia - get it??? !

Oh...and just for fun I have my head buried in Ian Sommerville's "Software Engineering", "SSADM in Practice" by Joyce Duncan et al, and "Computer Networks" by Tanenbaum. Don't you just LOVE technical books !

Nice Q!

Regards,

Steve

books, don't like them at all, but hey when you have a 73% in English, i think you should be reading a lot more too!

exams in 2 days, but i'm gonna try to read during the second semester, some book by christopher pike, i'm really into horror,

fav author: John Grisham, steven king (some are awefully long and boring)

btw anyone read the book IT by Steven KIng? I've never finished the 1000+ page book, so someone tell me what happened after 900 pages

bob2007

Originally posted by Aria
    its manic these days and i get to read on the train mainly, but Im enjoying these at the moment:

Andre Breton 'Mad Love' !!!!!-->that book is just beautiful

Paul Theroux o-zone
    and Klein's No Logo!!!

A
    theroux is great, have you ever heard of paul auster?? He's a great modern writer (there aren't many) from new york... his early stuff is the best, he writes beautifully, heavily influenced in his themes by camus and sartre and in his style by the paintings of edward hopper. His writing has recently become less sparing and i think he is turning into a modern-day mark twain... if this sounds interesting i recommend you pick up 'the new york trilogy' or 'leviathan'. Compare these with his more recent works like 'mr vertigo'.

He has recently turned to cinema - he wrote 'smoke' and 'blue in the face' and directed 'lulu on the bridge'.

if i'm whittling on it's because he is a great writer who not many people seem to have heard of, his early books are some of the best i've read and i don't read much modern fiction.

at the moment i'm reading 'the quiet american' by graham greene, for about the 6th time, greene rocks, no one defines characters as beautifully as he does... the sheer humanity of the man.

peace

I just got done re-reading a six book series by Terry Goodkind called the sword of truth series, best books i ever read, my only regret is that the seventh probably won't be out for another year. I would highly recommend these books, even for people who don't like fantasy, i don't care for it much to be honest with you but after reading these books, i'm hooked. the first book is called "wizard's first rule". dern good book, dern good.

on the side i'm readin
    php essentials
    director 8 bible
    and anything else i can pick up from the library that's recent enough to learn from

The Iranians - Sandra Mackey

pretty good so far...just started though.
    I'm just learning about my culture and history i guess...

Oh and if you want an amaaaaaaaaazing read then:
    Ishmael- Daniel Quinn

So good, so good so good, I read it over and over, it just changed my whole outlook on life. Go read it.

i am reading .........atlas shrugged-------by----i forgot and i am not gonna get up....but it is a really gr8 book this i can tell you

Originally posted by iForgotMyPassword
    i am reading .........atlas shrugged-------by----i forgot and i am not gonna get up....but it is a really gr8 book this i can tell you
    by ayn rand... read 'the fountainhead' when you're done, that's even better, despite her dodgy philosophy!!

"the teletubbies go to school"
    just kidding..."lord of the flies" by some dude

we read lotf in english this year, we just finished an essay on it worth 10% of our mark..and on thurs we have our final exam worth 20% and we have to do a quotation analyisis on it.

I hate english class....

squink what grade u in?