A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: assistance required cgi script for guestbook

Well after a few more hours and a major headache I got the Flashkit cgi guestbook to work....

It was the basedir variable that caused the glitch. Now I have to redesign the whole thing to look decent.

http://www.modzilla.com/guestbook.html

now I can rest for a little while.

[Edited by Mod on 01-24-2001 at 02:22 PM]

$basedir="/www/cgi-local";

Notice I got rid of that last slash? Maybe this is it.

Are you sure it isn't "cgi-bin"? Have you double-checked this absolute path to the script? I get file not found when I type in:

http://www.modzilla.com/cgi-local/book.cgi

Shouldn't I get something?

Also, your server may not be set up to run files ending with .cgi, try changing it to "book.pl".

Have you used a test CGI script to confirm that CGI is working correctly? Just a simple "hello world" script would work fine, but it might help you troubleshoot.

It's pointless to set the @referrer. Set it to whatever you want. It won't matter. (Let me know if this needs explained.)

Kory

AH, your base directory should be the base directory for kitbook.txt NOT the base directory for your CGI script!

Try that!

Well, I can't say that this script is terribly impressive...a bit old (1998) and obviously "rigged" so that it will work with Flash. But so long as it gets the job done, I guess... In any case, maybe flashkit would like for me to revamp it.

Kory

nope that did not work...but thanks for trying to help...

I notice you are using a standard guestbook on your site
    Kaptain...I have only seen a handful of guys that can make a flash guestbook work.

I guess I'll NOT be one of them today after 3 hours of piddling around friggin aggro...

This guy has a tight ass site and his guest book works
    in flash
    http://www.baddtraxxalexx.com/

MOD [;[
    [Edited by Mod on 01-24-2001 at 01:10 AM]

Yeah, I'm using a standard guestbook on my page because I'm lazy about it. I personnally just don't find that guestbooks do too much for me.

In any case, I thought it might still be fun to rewrite this horrible script so that it works better with Flash and to simply make some overall improvements.

I've got a good start on it (mostly just copy-and-paste from my ScoreKeeper script), but I just took some cold medicine and I'm about to give up on it tonight.

Give me a couple of days more and I'll have this thing working like a charm! I'll also encourage Flashkit to switch to my script.

This whole business has really surprised me because I thought there were several good guestbook/flash programs. Maybe not so according to the script that flashkit is currently using!

Cheers!
    Kory

cold medicine...[; \ ] feel better. I feel sick of CGI for a while. One weird glitch which needs adressing is the

1. amount to characters the comments window will accept.

2. Perhaps a way to gather IP info without displaying it on the "map guestbook" booke.cgi

I saved 40kb.shredding the proprietary junk. ..hehhehehe.
    The sound effects suck too.

3 maybe a way to block IP's of people who bomb the guest book...[; ]
    Don't be lazy... a headache is good once in a while.

When you get your sick GURU self better email me the script
    I'd like to learn more about back-end since front-end is well satuarted with great designers. I'm visiting my Perl CGI friends tomorrow for lunch for some pointers and maybe some reading material. The future for Flash money is backend.

Mod