A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: attention grabber

I do agree that there is a lack of information on many flash sites, however most attention spans are not to long.

Therefore, one has to have lots of sizzle in order to keep the user interested.

Once they have caught their audiences' interest....well, then depending on the company, either a phone number, pages with with lots of information, or anything that meets the purpose of having the site in the first place....

(I think this pertains to the topic. I am not exactly clear on what else was being said. I think voiceovers, but am not exactly sure.)

hi scot,

& welcome to flashkit!

I'm not sure if your post here is a new thread or a reply to the one about flash intros, but for what it's worth..

I can see where you're coming from with regards to grabbing attention, but I think this should also be balanced by the fact that it is just as easy to lose peoples attention as it is to win it.

A lacklustre intro leading to a site with great content it pointless, likewise a phenomenal intro leading to a poor site can leave a user dissappointed and even more ready to click away.

Time has shown that the most visited, most shopped at and most appreciated sites are those whose content keeps users coming and are interesting throughout.

Everything in life is a balance, it's just up to us to make sure we get it right.

ij.

Duely noted and I definitely agree with you.

First let me apologize. I am new to the message board and my message was supposed to be a response, but I guess I hit the wrong button. I'm not making excuses, but it was a late night.

Anyway, I compare the internet to the television. The whole idea is to leave a lasting impression. A commercial has 30 seconds to accomplish this. Now yes, if the audience hasn't a clue as to what the "company" does, the message is lost, BUT if there is a powerful display of "sizzle", not all would be lost. The audience would remember the message. (does that make sense?)

To clarify: I have viewed many commercials that left me feeling,"???????", but I remember them, and I think that is important.

Just an opinion. It is definitely helpful to hear different perspectives.

thanks

no worries about the mixup, it goes on here everyday. I've seen and made more messups than you can possibly imagine (well, maybe not that many). Just dont make them in front of markp

If you're talking abuot a more marketing focused site then i can see where you're coming from. You need that little bit extra to build and maintain a brand, and sometimes it's that ??????? feeling that makes you remember (remember when orange first advertised and all you saw were those big billboards with orange written on?).

I do like the idea of taking some things from TV, as a form of media it's been around a lot longer than the web and flash and there is a great deal in terms of style and technique that we can draw from it.

Just remember that the big difference is that TV commercials are meant to make you go and do something, whereas websites also have to be the place where that thing can be done. This, sadly, is where design must make way for function.

Likewise, good to hear other opinions.

Best Regards,

John