A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ANN: JPG->SWF converter (perl/cgi)

Exclamation

Hi.

I've finally tidied up my perl JPG->SWF converter enough to release it as open source.

Please email me at adam@sixzeds.com if you would like a copy.

Features:

converts any image (bmp/gif/png/jpg/pjpg) to a single frame swf. Non-jpg formats converted to jpg first (with associated loss of quality) via cjpeg (libjpeg).

runs as CGI script, complete with user-definable upload/error pages

Can generate swf either of a fixed size (eg 100x100 pixels) or the same size as the uploaded file.

Wink Lossless support almost ready...

Although there are no replies in this forum, I've emailed out about 15 copies of the converter. So much for "no need for it" in another thread :-)

You may like to know that support for lossless images is nearly ready (I've got it working with ppm files, which are very similar to bmp24) for release.

Cool!

I also have had alot of people ask for this kind of script. I have never seen it done using Perl though. From what I understand uploading bitmaps and turning them to swf file format is why people use Generator. Your script could save alot of people from having to learn Generator. For someone like me that loads content from text files for my customers sites so they can update the content themselves. This would also allow them to upload new pictures which would make my job that much easier.

Send me a copy, Please

Hmmm. Email address?

As you say, it was basically written for a client who needed the swf-creation powers of Generator so that users could upload images. http://www.moveon.co.uk whenever it is released...

It solves the probelm of having to find a host who has Generator, or hosting your own box and all the associated headaches. A simple drop-in cgi script and you're away!

Email me and I'll send you a copy...