A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: transparent backgroud

Is there any way I can save my flash animation with a transparent background as an executable file? Let's say I want to have just a character on the screen, something like an agent, that paper clip from MS Word. With nothing
    around it, just my character. Any ideas?

Thanks,

good question

This is a good question.

I think you can do it with Visual C++, Delphi, Visual Basic etc. But with flash... I don't think so.

http://screenweaver.com/swsite/newindex.htm

Maybe you'll find this interesting:
    http://screenweaver.com/swsite/newindex.htm

Transparent Background

If you load your movie (as created with the SWF toolkit) into another flash movie (e.g. created with Flash 4 environment) using the LoadMovie action, it will appear in the Player without the background.

Bourne

> as created with the SWF toolkit ?

Please Explain and
    an example would be nice !

Thanks.

I know a method on how to do this, but it may be difficult, I don't know your programming skills. You need to firstly get into the Flash Player SDK and rewrite the drawing list so that it doesn't redraw the background. This way only the objects are drawn. Then port it into your program, with a window that has been set not to redraw the background, I can't remember the exact setting , but you do it in the CreateWindowEx() function if I remember correctly. At this stage , you have your animation on the screen with the background showing through, however if you move the window, the original background comes with, and also anything behind the window doesn't update. What you can do is put an InvalidateRect() function call in the paint message to all the windows on the screen, and then update your window's background with this, and then draw the next frame of flash on top. Now if can get that working, write the code into the messages for mouse messages, and use the sdk to determine whether its on a flash object or the background. If its on the background, there's a function which allows you to find the window at a certain point on the screen, so use that to find the one BEHIND your window, and pass the mouse message on to that. good luck

PS another method would be to use the GetDesktopWindow() function to allow painting directly onto anywhere on the screen, regardless of your window. Send this to the Flash sdk as the HDC and try that.

What is the solution just using ActiveX control?

Hi ! Everyone.

I want to find a solution that transparent window and Flash, too. So I tried various direction.

First, Use the Visual Basic + Flash ActiveX control.
    Implementation is very easy. But this solution has some problem. Flash is not properly run. Maybe, Flash's timer are broken. (try this)

Second, Use the Visual C++ 'PLUS' Flash ActiveX control.
    This way is so easy like the First case. But this way has some BIG problem. Transparent of Flash's property is not active. It just look Window or Opaque of Flash's property.

And so on...

What is difference of two Development tools ? I don't know. But I can guess. Standard Windows API can't support the Flash's Transparent property, directly.

Who can show me the solution ?

It Must Have a Soution !! But I don't know. I'll be try everyday. Someday I'll find the solution.

ps: Rewriting or change the Flash SDK source is very good solution. But most of developer has not the SDK source. And me too.
    I want to know the transparent solution for just using Flash ActiveX control.

Quote Originally Posted by nurimbo
    Hi ! Everyone.

I want to find a solution that transparent window and Flash, too. So I tried various direction.

First, Use the Visual Basic + Flash ActiveX control.
    Implementation is very easy. But this solution has some problem. Flash is not properly run. Maybe, Flash's timer are broken. (try this)

Second, Use the Visual C++ 'PLUS' Flash ActiveX control.
    This way is so easy like the First case. But this way has some BIG problem. Transparent of Flash's property is not active. It just look Window or Opaque of Flash's property.

And so on...

What is difference of two Development tools ? I don't know. But I can guess. Standard Windows API can't support the Flash's Transparent property, directly.

Who can show me the solution ?

It Must Have a Soution !! But I don't know. I'll be try everyday. Someday I'll find the solution.

ps: Rewriting or change the Flash SDK source is very good solution. But most of developer has not the SDK source. And me too.
    I want to know the transparent solution for just using Flash ActiveX control.

OK I followed these steps in my MFC based Dialog Application. in OnEraseBkgnd I wrote this code to make the dialog window transparent

Code:
    BOOL CDesktopAppDlg::OnEraseBkgnd(CDC* pDC) 
    {
    	CBrush brush;
    	brush.CreateStockObject(NULL_BRUSH);
    	pDC->SelectObject(&brush);

return FALSE;
    }
    The dialogbox is transparent but the flash window is still showing white background, despite I even set its WMode to transparent (m_flSample.SetWMode("transparent')). But still its not working, and showing me the white background. Can someone help me with this??

Thanks in advance

There are a multitude of third party apps (swishstudio2 , swf studio, etc etc)

Which can achieve this. For a full listing of alternative standalone programs might I suggest the Standalone & Applications forum here.

Frets

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    There are a multitude of third party apps (swishstudio2 , swf studio, etc etc)

Which can achieve this. For a full listing of alternative standalone programs might I suggest the Standalone & Applications forum here.

Frets
    Sorry about that. I am new to this forum. I am basically a VC++ programmer who has recently integrated my application with flash and facing this WMode problem. Since in Codeguru thread no one knows about flash integration thats why my only hope lies here

Please give me link to the correct thread.

Agent
    mProjector
    I'm using Flash 8 on a Mac

I am basically a VC++ programmer who has recently integrated my application with flash and facing this WMode problem. Since in Codeguru thread no one knows about flash integration thats why my only hope lies here
    In the same boat am very interested in making a swf background transparent...

the reason being to have "pockets" of transparency to show a OpenGL window in these area on the lowest Z level so Flash objects can be dragged over the OpenGL windows by keeping the Flash objects it on the highest z level.....

any one find any results?