A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How can I trigger a music CD track from a Flash .exe proyector??

Hi! I'm using Flash to make an autorun Flash proyector presentation for my band's music Cd demo. What I want to do is some sort of CD Player Interface -quite simple, just click the song's name and the selected track corresponding to the song's name should be trigered.....
    However, I have no idea to do this directly in flash.
    I came inmediately with this idea: I can make a CD-Player program using Visual Basic, with no interface (no window at all), and using the flash proyector as the interface used by the VB program.
    However, I'd like to know if there is a better, direct, and easy way to do this using only flash (man, I'm lazy, I've not installed VB6 on my fresh hard disk...).
    Any ideas are frantically welcome!!!! I've already posted this message on the general posting, but 'cause I really need any answer fast, I tought it should be wise to post it here also.... I need to finish burning 10 CD's by Saturday in the morning!!!!! Sorry if double-posting is unpleasant or something like that

Put this in your button:

FS Command ("exec", "yoursong")

"yoursong" is the one that you want to play. make sure use use the pathname. You could have the projector in the same folder and you wouldn't have to put in a directory.

Cool thanx anyway..

that can't work... the problem is that hybrid CD-ROM XA's (the ones that have the audio tracks first -so called ISO 9660 Mode 2) have 2 sessions: the audio track session and the Data session, each with it's own TOC. Normal CD players can only read the first session, whatever it is before the first table of contents. However, ordinary CD-ROM readers only take whatever it is the last session contained within the last table of contents. So, whenever you insert the CD-ROM, you'll only accsess whatever is in the last session -the data. There are no way to accsess audio tracks from explorer, unless you open a CD-Player program.
    Anyway, thanx for the help.

Yea, your screwing the dog on this one unless you format your audio to .wav or .mp3.

I could write you a application that did that.. and wasn't dependent on runtime files as well..

It really depends on how fast you need it and how well you motivate me..

I can see by your post that your already past your deadline.. so if your in a hurry go with what Hadron said and either use my Default App Beta or JTOOLS to open up .wav or .mp3 in there default applictions..

One other thing never ever distribute a application on a cdrom with Visual Basic.. why?

Because VB app's require runtime files in the windows\system directory to run.. That means that the runtime files must be installed before the Autoplay (or when the autoplay runs)

[Edited by The Master on 08-06-2000 at 02:18 AM]

You may be able to get away with putting all the runtime files in the app.path on the CD uncompressed along with all the other support files. I have done this type of thing before letting the app look for it's support files from the app path rather then from the %System% folder.