A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] What's the ultimate goal for a designer?

Old dog learning new tricks

Let's get philosophical...

To produce a design/look/feel that amazes the designer ('WOW! How the f*** did I produce that?' ), completes blows away all opposition, and is acclaimed as one of the best designs of the century. It even amazes the designers famous heroes

If only..... we can all but dream....

Ruggers

DJ_SFinKz
    For people to actknowledge you

FK Doctor of Love
    to get paid...er, i mean to be acknowledged

seriously, the objective is to create something that other people will be amazed by, because normally, i am never satisfited with whatever i create but i view that as a good sign

How about making things better through design?
    I mean do u express your own believes in your design, or it's design for design's sake (and make a few bucks maybe)?
    Peace

jmlstudio
    The main goal of a designer is to "communicate" with shapes and pretty pictures. Also working with text.

Jin

To gain the respect of your female co-workers, thus increasing your chance to get a date. =]

On a serious note, I would have to say to my goals are to harness all the creativity in my head and translate it into a medium in which other people can enjoy.

regards,

dstewart

Mine right know is to be quite rich suddenly , so I won't have to design for a living. Then I'd like to design experimental projects just for fun... like a therapy.
    Peace

COMMUNICATION.

Anyone with an interest in design must read: The Design of Everyday Things.

I am so tired of people involved in design who think its about the pretty pictures. Another good thing to learn about is SEMIOTICS---the most important class I took in my Design program at NSCAD.

Smile

Communicate, i must agree with you renia.

when i was at school, most of my classmates thought about design as a cool career,,, i hate that! they saw it even as a way to tell people that they had a fancy and interesting way of live, through sleepless nights and loads of coffe and girls that went after you just because you were in the design world, thus you were "interesting" and creative (they never found out if they really were creative though)

but communication is just a part of it.

When i was 12, and people saw my drawings, they used to say that i was made to be an Architect,,, that was the way things worked out in those days. if i made some crazy jedi thing like a floor print, they used to stare at me and say: "boy, that's the craziest thing i've ever seen", a poster which i enjoyed a lot making, was just a "big drawing" and designing a cover for my notebooks was just a waste of time, >(

nowadays, those same folks say that what i do is so creative that i was made to be an excelent architect, and graphic design must be left for girls ARRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

now please, let me indulge my self pitty

but then again, those folks are only two uncles, about 79 years old, an aunt whose blindness keeps her from looking at my design, and a jealous cousing, who always asked me to draw him Cindy's naked butt. - keep trying!

fortunately, my Girlfriend, she's a graphic designer, and I work together doing free lance, we have some great accounts, and when we deliver a design, and i see the look on our client's face, on those moments of my life i think to myself: "Boy, what a wonderful architect could i've been!, if only i wasn't a better graphic designer,,,

acQuired brAin
    Information by communication...communication by design.

Yup--nothing i hate worse than people who are jsut into the pretty pics. good discussion--please! get into SEMIOTICS----fascinating.

OK, let's talk about semiotics.
    My english are not so extensive, but since I'm greek I think it's what we call "simiotiki". The "method" to express meanings by symbols.
    I also believe that is essential to our work.
    But have u thought how this works through multiple cultures?
    My studio makes labels for a major export company which exports food at the States.
    So we create very good (in my opinion) labels for what we think is Greece and meditteanen food. But the goal is to "translate" the opinion of the american consumer into a design. In the end we create labels in a different "language" with no serious meanings to us natives.
    What I'm trying to say is that very few symbols have the same meaning in different cultures (one is CocaCola I'm sure). The point is how to make a universal language through design in a global media like the Internet.
    I think it's a good oportunity to create a completely different language that has no bariers, except the dimensions of the monitor.
    So how about peak a subject (no matter what, let's say a color) and try each one of us to translate it into design, through the personal and ethnic culture?
    And maybe we can make an exibition in Flashkit with our work. No competitions and **** like that. Just to expose an universal point of view to the same thing.
    What do u think?
    Peace

to outlive hedgehogs.

Simply put, design is intelligence made visible. So the goal of a designer should be able to successfully translate an abstract idea into a tangible form. This tangible form, however, should serve as a communication tool that follows the principle of 'function before form'. In other words, design is a commodity and should stay that way.

And of course, if it looks f---ing kool and attracts co-workers of the opposite sex (thus increasing your chance of getting a hot date), then even better! lol

--CryptoMnesious

: :.::: .. skrewd .. :.::: :
    ithink

absent

Talking

Designers want what everyone else wants... money.

the real goal of a designer is to wake up and try and fit into your pants. what was the question?

Eer... nothing special, just trying to pick up some more opninions.
    Peace

I said it once and I'll say it again..we must outlive the hedehogs!