A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] What's the ultimate goal for a designer?

to be a moderator on FK...

best advice i have heard yet was to fall in love with design, not being a desiner.

just to make a living out of it(in creating and researching new designs/structures), and ppl looking forward to see ur designs.

and the final goal?: be financially independant so u can produce what u want and how you want it.

that's about it...nothing much really

Originally posted by Astroflux

best advice i have heard yet was to fall in love with design, not being a desiner.
    good advise
    it's about the same as saying that the road to ur goals (designing in this case) is more important then reaching the goal.
    cause if u reach a goal u're not satisfied and u only want more.

i would say its being happy at what u are doing, every designer i have met gets jobs they hate from time to time but i dont really see my day a being at work, i dont watch the clock like ppl do when they are in a bad job, and i've had plenty of crappy jobs after college

the money is a factor but i would take on a job i knew i would really enjoy at a cheap price just so i could have fun doing it

bp

hmm... why we design? to make people see something new
    my msn : meilind4@hotmail.com

noodle baker
    To manipulate people to buy something...

success for me at this very moment would be finally to understand how to make this f***** copic scribbel technique d:

cheers
    Dani
    have you ever had that feeling where you don't know if you're awake or still dreaming?

to do ***** with HOT CHICS in paris!
    Last edited by Black_phoenix; 10-11-2003 at 07:27 PM.

What is the ultimate goal of a designer?

I have seen a number of answers that really have nothing to do with the question as asked. You people want to get laid, you want to be recognized, you want to be famous. That is not the ultimate goal of a designer, those are personal goals. The statements speak to me of what you do not have or are not getting enough of, and you see being a designer as your path to get to them.

I believe the ultimate goal of a designer should be to effectively communicate information. This is not always going to equate to the height of artistic expression. In fact, I think this will rarely be the case. Your goal as a designer is not to create pretty pictures or to fulfill your personal need for artistic expression. As a designer you are almost always working for someone else to bring their ideas to life. Whether you are making a logo, a web site, a brochure, or any number of other things, your goal will be to convey specific information to a silent audience of varied and unique individuals. You want your message to be interesting in it's presentation and at times potent in it's impact, but most of all you want it to be easily understood by a wide range of people.

There are, of course, times when you do want to make an artistic statement of sorts. Let's say you were working on a movie poster. You would want the image to not only convey to the public information about it's release date, yada yada, but you also want to create a certain level of excitement in the viewer, one that will make him or her want to see the film. So yes, there are times when your goal is to make the viewer say "WOW!", but I think the ultimate goal of a designer is to convey information in a clear and visually stimulating manner.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

noodle baker
    Originally posted by RUSHVision

As a designer you are almost always working for someone else to bring their ideas to life. Whether you are making a logo, a web site, a brochure, or any number of other things, your goal will be to convey specific information to a silent audience of varied and unique individuals. You want your message to be interesting in it's presentation and at times potent in it's impact, but most of all you want it to be easily understood by a wide range of people.
    But why does someone hires a designer then? I don't think it's only because they want their product to look beautiful...whether u're doing a logo or a site, you're doing it because your client wants to sell something, and that's why it should be interesting and potent, for a wide range of people to buy it.

cheers
    Dani

Ps.: one thing I'm really curious about: how many of you study or have studied design?
    Last edited by mescaline; 10-13-2003 at 05:32 AM.
    have you ever had that feeling where you don't know if you're awake or still dreaming?

Originally posted by mescaline
    But why does someone hires a designer then? I don't think it's only because they want their product to look beautiful...whether u're doing a logo or a site, you're doing it because your client wants to sell something, and that's why it should be interesting and potent, for a wide range of people to buy it.

cheers
    Dani

Ps.: one thing I'm really curious about: how many of you study or have studied design?
    I am going to have to refute the statement that most people hire a designer because they want their product to look beautiful. I'm not saying that they won't be pleased if it does look beautiful, but their main goal is to make money. This can only be done through clear and concise distribution and display of information. Making that information look good is part of the job, but not the biggest part. Perhaps some of you are confusing the question with 'What is the ultimate goal of an artist?'.

As for who has actually studied design and who has not, I couldn't say for sure, but I can guess based on the response that each has given. Personally, I studied it at the Art Institute of Seattle.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

To communicate.
    and if u can make a living out of it or get rich doesnt hurts

I think RUSHVision makes some really good points.

for the most part, i believe that artist work for themselves where designers are usually working for a client. the client usually puts the designer in some sort of a box, puts certain restraints on the designer, budget, colors, etc. A artist on the otherhand usually has no restraints.

The ultimate goal for a designer is to provide the best solution for a client's problem that still fits in a box that the client feels comfortable with.

" My design would be SO AWESOME if the client would JUST SHUTUP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Dizzle the doggie fizzle