A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: **** Swish 2.0 Alpha 5 BUG THREAD ****

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Please submit bug reports and comments here.

As before, remember that exporting is disabled in this alpha version.

Also, if the UI gets totally confused, try exiting from SWiSH and deleting the registry entry (see the Alpha 5 announcement thread at http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...threadid=97282 for details).

[B]Good luck and enjoy the new Alpha !![B]

not sure . . .

Allo . . . I'm not sure if this is a bug or not . . . But, it seems that you can delete objects while the movie is playing . . . I would assume that all features would be disabled during Playback and Preview . . .

I know that there is an Undo feature - but, I think Delete should be disable during Preview and Playback . . .

Just thought I'd pass it along . . .

Sorry if I offended . . .

Still I Luv it

Peaces
    Cadence

my apologies

Allo again . . .

I'm sorry to be a nuisance . . .But, there's another thing I just found ... This is a bug, I think . . .

It is impossible to change the size of any font to 100, 200, 300, 400, etc. What I mean, is that you can size the font to 111 or 121 but not 101 or 102 .. . Anything followed by a zero . . . It refused to accept the Zero as a number . . . I've tried it several times, and no matter what I can't have a Zero after the first number . . .

Or, is there a reason for this ? . . .

I understand it not accepting Zero as the first number - but, it won't let it be the second either

Hope I helped a little

cadence

actually . . .

In the Font Size box - if I type 45 it becomes 54 . . . Which is why the zero doesn't work (typing 100 - becomes 001) . . . It uses the last number as the first number . . . I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way ---- but, I don't think it is

sorry

k - bye

cadence

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: not sure . . .

Originally posted by Cadence
    Allo . . . I'm not sure if this is a bug or not . . . But, it seems that you can delete objects while the movie is playing . . . I would assume that all features would be disabled during Playback and Preview . . .

I know that there is an Undo feature - but, I think Delete should be disable during Preview and Playback . . .

Just thought I'd pass it along . . .

Sorry if I offended . . .

Still I Luv it
    All features are active during playback .. that is one of the major changes in V2 .. before you had to start and stop to do anything .. now you can move effects around on the timeline, change text add or remove effects etc and the playback will restart after each change.

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: actually . . .

Originally posted by Cadence
    In the Font Size box - if I type 45 it becomes 54 . . . Which is why the zero doesn't work (typing 100 - becomes 001) . . . It uses the last number as the first number . . . I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way ---- but, I don't think it is
    OK .. I see the bug .. I'll fix it ASAP. The problem is that the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the edit box on each digit you type. The workaround is to use the mouse or arrow keys to move the cursor back tothe end before typing the next digit.

Roger, I originally posted this on the other thread, you had asked for it here. Regarding an example of the rotation stuff I found:

OK, here goes:

I drew a circle, added a move across the screen, and set rotation to uniform 45 clockwise. Clicked play scene, works great (I hadn't tried this before, I think I see the problem now, or at least where it's cropping up). Next I tried uniform 90 CW, again worked perfectly.

Next, 180 uniform CW. Now, I get a 180 rotation on the horiz. axis, and a simultaneous 180 rotation on the vert. axis, no longer just a straight 2D rotation. So I scale back a hair and try uniform 170 CW and uniform 179 CW, both work fine. 180 is the break point.

Then, I try 181 uniform CW. Again, I get single 2D rotation, but now, because it's past the 180 mark, the shape turns counterclockwise (the shorter distance) to get to the required rotation, even though the request is for clockwise rotation. Entries of 181-359 follow this pattern. But when you get to 360, you get no visible rotation whatsoever -- it looks like it's registering 360=0.

If I use the rotation handles and have the transform tab showing as I rotate, I get uniform rotation numbers as I rotate the object by dragging its handle in the end keyframe. But once I'm done, if I double click on the move effect and look at the rotation figures, they're different. For example, on the transform tab, the "uniform" box is checked, and the top rotation says "-134.04." Correspondingly, the bottom rotation box, which is greyed out, says the same thing. But if I double click on the move effect and check out the rotation amounts, horiz is -134.04, and vert is -44.04. That may be accurate, but just wanted to bring it to your attention that they're displaying differently.

Hope that explanation helps.

Best, Will

No slider in timeline

You still must close the layout window in order to view the horizontal slider in the timeline.

There is apparently still no way of applying a stop action to a sprite and having it carry over to the timeline. If I need to supply a swi in order for you to understand the problem then I will. A fix for this would seem easy to me, but then Im not a programer. Ive attempted to explain it time and time again. If you have a stop or redirect action applied to a sprite on press then have your sprite moving using a transform within the main timeline you will get this: The sprite will stop its motion, but continue following the transform or motion path that is in the main timeline. There needs to be a way or telling the main timeline to stop its action on press. I have attempted many different ways to accomplish this with no success.

Also, apparently you cannot have an onpress from a sprite go to a different scene? When trying it no scene numbers appear in the dialog box.

I hope you can take my post seriously. If you can accomplish some sort of tell target or simply add the ability to add an action directly to the sprite button you will open the program up to game developers.

~Jer~

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by flashopper
    snip
    I've fixed most of those issues now. SHould work a lot better in the next Alpha for you.

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: No slider in timeline

Originally posted by Jerry T
    You still must close the layout window in order to view the horizontal slider in the timeline.
    I cannot make this happen no matter how hard I try.. the horizontal and vertical scrolls are still there.

There WAS a problem a couple of Alphas ago .. are you sure you're running the correct version?

Does anybody else have this problem with the current Alpha?
    There is apparently still no way of applying a stop action to a sprite and having it carry over to the timeline. If I need to supply a swi in order for you to understand the problem then I will. A fix for this would seem easy to me, but then Im not a programer. Ive attempted to explain it time and time again. If you have a stop or redirect action applied to a sprite on press then have your sprite moving using a transform within the main timeline you will get this: The sprite will stop its motion, but continue following the transform or motion path that is in the main timeline. There needs to be a way or telling the main timeline to stop its action on press. I have attempted many different ways to accomplish this with no success.
    That is the correct behaviour

We are looking into adding Tell Target (or Set Target). Then you should be able to do what you want.
    Also, apparently you cannot have an onpress from a sprite go to a different scene? When trying it no scene numbers appear in the dialog box.
    That is correct. A sprite is a self contained mini-movie with a single scene in it. You cannot make it go somewhere else.
    I hope you can take my post seriously. If you can accomplish some sort of tell target or simply add the ability to add an action directly to the sprite button you will open the program up to game developers.
    We are listening and the Tell Target (that should do what you want) is high on our list of things to do.

Hey Roger

Here's an image that shows my 'no slider' problem. It may just be that my set up of the boxes is contributing to the problem and that is why you cannot recreate it.

http://www.geocities.com/jmturner46507/swish2.0.jpg

~Jer~

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Hey Roger

Originally posted by Jerry T
    Here's an image that shows my 'no slider' problem. It may just be that my set up of the boxes is contributing to the problem and that is why you cannot recreate it.

http://www.geocities.com/jmturner46507/swish2.0.jpg

~Jer~

Looks like its your layout. You've got nothin in you main view and your timeline is extending bast the bottom of the application window.

Try this.

Float you timeline .. this should reveal the main view area empty. Then drag you timeline into that area.

I don't know how you managed to get things in the arranagement you have .. but it does explain why thins are screwy. You should always try to have at least one panel in the main view window.

FYI...

1. I drew a simple horizontal line

2. I selected the line

3. I right-clicked on the mouse

4. Two NASTY words showed up on the screen panel:

A. "Show"

B. "Hide"

5. My understanding was that these were to be stricken
    from our SWiSH Vocabulary, and the new buzz words
    are "Place" and "Remove" ?????

Re: Re: Hey Roger

You should always try to have at least one panel in the main view window.

Umh, can you stick a piece of code in that would insure
    at least any one panel would always have to show in the
    main view window? That would be nice

flash777,

That's a different kind of show and hide. That menu option shows and hides the object while in edit mode. Yet another good reason to differentiate between "Show" (the effect) and "Show" (the edit mode option)

Cheers, David.

Sorry, but I seem to have a knack for finding things right
    away. My 2nd experiment was to draw an elipise & played
    with the gradient. I SAVED THIS ONE...an AWESOME multi-
    colored image I want to use when v2.0 (FINAL) comes out

OK...

1. I selected my elipse

2. I tried all the position "align" defaults in the
    Transform panel but only a slight movement of a few
    pixels with a couple of them. "Top Left" did squat,
    etc., etc.

3. Can you please possibly "narrow" up the effects dialog
    boxes a bit more (for example: you *could* put the
    "Uniform" checkboxes UNDERNEATH and left instead of
    clear over to the right with so much blank space on
    the rest of the dialog box which keeps it so darn wide.
    My reasoning for this is simple...and tied to #4. The
    buttons (or some of them) could even be narrower (no
    one requires they all be the same width, really :-)

4. Be default, these dialog boxes seem to show up in the
    center of the screen. This requires PHYSICALLY MOVING
    or DRAGGING them out-of-the-way in order to utilize the
    "Preview" function...a lot of mouse-movement and time
    considering the frequency of use. SUGGESTION: By
    Default, have these effects dialog boxes pop-up either
    clear to the left or clear to the right. Or, BETTER
    YET, give us the ability to choose our own positioning
    "Defaults" in some kind of "Preferences" or "Setup" tab.
    Otherwise, using v2.0 will end up requiring about 30%
    of our "design time" being spent in d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g
    these dialog boxes out-of-the-way in order to utilize
    the Preview function. Make sense???? Tnx.

5. By default, when the "Move" effect is selected and the
    "Move" dialog box comes up, the cursor is blinking in
    the name "Move" field. If would be much more functional
    to have it blink by default in the fps field, so all we
    have to do is quickly type a number if we want to change
    the duration...WITHOUT HAVING TO Mouse the cursor. I'm
    suggestion SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN OPERATOR USAGE of
    that #&*! mouse

6. Also, when we select X, Y, Scale, Rotate, Alpha Fade &
    Color options on the "Move" dialog box (and I believe
    these "Move" functions will be heavily utilized more),
    here we once again must MOUSE THE CURSOR to each of
    the individual field boxes to enter the desired number.
    For example: If we click on "Scale", and Choose "Increase
    Scale By", as soon as the field appears, the cursor, by
    DEFAULT, should appear in that field (and the same way
    for all of the other choices...in ALL OF THE EFFECTS
    DIALOG BOXES.

Just stop and think how many UNNECESSARY MOUSE MOVEMENTS
    AND CLICKS COULD BE ELIMINATED in one user project, then
    times the total number of projects the average user will
    do, times the total number of SWiSH users?????

7. Umh, in all humility, I am a "GUI EFFICIENCY EXPERT"
    Seriously, this could also help reduce Carpal Tunnel,
    or SWiSH Tunnel. Try it yourself. Do a "Move" and
    select EACH of the options and plug in some numbers.
    Then, picture yourself doing that thousdand of times
    and see if this can't be more efficient by having the
    cursor DEFAULT to where you have to type.

OK...I'm off my "GUI Efficiency Soapbox" now ;(

More "GUI Efficiency" ...

The "Play Scene" & "Play Effect" buttons are great!!!

HOWEVER, close to a Bazillion additional Mouse Movements can also be further eliminated (I just realized this) by
    something very, very simple.

1. Whenever we right-mouse click, put Play, Play Scene &
    Play Effect either at the extreme TOP (most desirable)
    or Extreme bottom of the panel that pops up...and
    throw in another separator line from the other options.

2. This would be EXTREMELY USEFUL for simply clicking on
    a Scene in the Outline panel, immediately right-clicking
    the mouse (without having to move your hand), and then
    hardly moving the mouse at all to make our choice.

3. The ULTIMATE would be to have a User-defined "Preference"
    setting where we could automatically have the mouse
    positioned on the panel at our "favorite" or "most used"
    choice (i.e., either Play, Play Scene or Play Effect.
    Once again, considerable ELIMINATION of having to mouse
    up to the tool bar for functionality that is heavily
    used during design.

It's a proverbial "piece-of-cake". Catch The Vision

I have been reading you a lot since the beginning of version 2 alpha, and I hope that the final version will come with a good help file and tutorial because most of us will be kind of lost specially if you change the term of some action and all the new tool added.

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Re: Re: Hey Roger

Originally posted by flash777
    You should always try to have at least one panel in the main view window.

Umh, can you stick a piece of code in that would insure
    at least any one panel would always have to show in the
    main view window? That would be nice
    The only problem with that is that then the users would complain that they have a panel in their main view and cannot float it or drag it away .. and we'd haveto explain that to remove that panel, you first have to put another panel into the main view, then move away the second one.

Leaving the main view empty isn't a sin .. its just not really a good way to do things .. but I don't think that making it impossible is the right thing to do .. a very BIG BROTHER way of doing things.

The Font size box is backwards. 15=51 and 51=15 this how it iss with all all sizes and it becomes even more of a pain trying to get in the three digit sizes.

By the way excellent you guys were able to fix the number of characters problem for the text fields.