A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "Free-hand" drawing in SWF

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to implement a free-hand style drawing using the SDK? That is, if I have a bunch of points, or a bunch of deltas, can I emulate a free-hand drawing?

Jimmy

Most Likely...

Most Likely, you would want to create a vector-based graphics program, and not a freehand drawing program. However, if you want to do freehand, it is still possible, just a little harder (Flash combines it with its drawing tool). It would be easy if you only use straight line records, but if you start using curved line records, then you have to probably do some type of curve fitting to your points...this can get very complicated. That is why I say that a vector based program would be more effective.

--Jesse

Well, I've gotten it to work. The trick is to set the FCTPlaceObject2's hasMove flag to false, and hasCharID to true. This leaves behind a footprint of the old shape.

Jimmy

huh???

Doing that only makes a copy of the same image...I wouldn't really recommend doing it too often though, because removing shapes can get to be a pain if they all have the same ID and same layer...

in any case...what does that have to do with freehand drawing? Are you using it like a paint-brush...?

--Jesse