A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the RELIGION thread... just when you thought there wouldn't be any more!

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar

Smile

Yeah, I posted this thread because I am genuinely interested in people's religion or lack of it...

Because this kind of threads can sometimes be kinda' problematic, why don't we members stick to a few rules?..

1. We are not making proselites, we are exposing our ideas
    2. Respect for other ppl's oppinions should be number one law

Well, I will post what I believe after a while...

agnostic phooka.

Did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac agnostic?

He lay awake all night wondering if there was a dog.

hee hee, sorry phooks, had to give ya that one but I am really an agnostic. I do believe in a higher spirit but not neccesarily in a God. I kind of like the idea of the vikings 'Valhalla'.

Challenge the Conventional
    I thaught FlashKit was GOd ?

Would you give attributes to that spirit, something like a human transference of attributes, or the Valhalla is a kind of Nirvana where everything gets disolved once reaches perfection?

BTW, FK is angelical but not divine!

Challenge the Conventional
    but in times of striffe ... do we not prey to the boards of FK ?

Originally posted by Peter H
    but in times of striffe ... do we not prey to the boards of FK ?
    Prey? You mean like vultures?

Originally posted by phooka
    Would you give attributes to that spirit, something like a human transference of attributes, or the Valhalla is a kind of Nirvana where everything gets disolved once reaches perfection?

BTW, FK is angelical but not divine!
    I didn't say one spirit phooka, I think there is a higher level of consciousness (or subconsciuosness). I like the idea of different civilizations with their different beliefs. Look at indians with their idea of kalma etc I do not have any set beliefs, just an idea that the human race is not matter

heh - im definately atheist - as far as I am concerned there is no God (or Dog either Bruce! ) and I know WHY i dont believe either
    I dont like to think I am not in control of my own destiny!

And to reflect phookstas openng comments - Be repectful to otheres belifes!

FK Doctor of Love
    right now, i would call myself some kind of agnostic (don't tell anyone, i went to a catholic school )

but recently i have begun to study Pascal's Wager and it has gotten me thinking... so who knows how i will end up

God ?

I believe in a 'God'ly spirit that holds the whole Universe (and everthing in it) together but I don't believe there is a omni-potent God that watches over us.

But full-on respect to anyone that has the belief in God, cause that takes a lot of faith nowadays.

see ya

Fresh Prince of FK
    THX phaedrus...that's me!!

I am a Christian. I do beleive that there is one God and that he is omnipotent and watching over us. I beleive that he sent his son to die for our sins so that we wouldn't have to go to hell.

He is the best thing that ever happened. I am glad to be a Christian.

Pascals Wager: Makes logical sense, but requires no faith. Kind of like an insurance policy. Just in case you die, God is there to back you up. My beleifs come from Faith in Jesus.

my 2+ cents.

Do you ppl believe that faith and works are just two sides of the same coin? Some groups go for the faith, some others for works... IMHO, it's a polarization that comes from the initial Luteran reformation but that has little sense today...

Fresh Prince of FK
    In the bible, it says that we are saved by Faith and not by works alone. That's what I beleive.

Originally posted by flea
    In the bible, it says that we are saved by Faith and not by works alone. That's what I beleive.
    The problem is that the Bible is such a vast, huge book that every person / community can find sustain for their own opinions. Catholics find a basis for the works theory, protestants a basis for the Faith approach, baptists for the Immersion baptism, Luterans for the Children's Baptism, Atheists for not believing anything, KKK for being racists...

Even if the Bible was the word of God, people would subjectivize it completely so that nobody could express the objective truth from it, only his vision...

Fresh Prince of FK
    I don't know if that was a rhetorical comment or not, but i will give my reply anyways:

The bible cannot sustain truths for all of those types of people. Being a racist is definitely not supported in the bible. How can an atheist read the bible and not beleive that there is a God? As far as Lutherans, and Baptists (both of protestant origins) their doctrines are just customs, their interpretation of what the bible says.

I beleive that you should be able to understand what baptism is before you go ahead and do it. My denomonation practices baptism when the person is old enough to understand what the whole process means, usually the are in their teens. This is the way that most people were baptised in the bible, there fore we see our way of doing it as the correct way. Although we do not 'look down' on other denomonations for their practices. They also beleive that what they are doing is the 'right' way.

FK Doctor of Love
    I wasn't implying that Pascal's Wager involved any elements of faith. It just got me questioning the logic in my own beliefs. In fact, IMHO, logic and faith never should mix. When the two clash, neither can win. Right now, I prefer logically approaching the subject of religion and, in particular, the Christian faith. For example, it seems strange to me that so many different interpretations of one "supreme being" exist, such as comparing faith between Christians, Muslims, and Hindus. How is this reconciled? If each believes that they are correct, are all the others turned away in the afterlife?

The greatest quote I ever heard on the subject was this...

Religion is the only thing in a person's life that he/she is willing to accept with virtually no proof at all.

As for me, I don't particular subscribe to any religion. I was brought up as a Methodist and attended a Catholic high school, so if I had to choose, I would lean towards those two denominations. I do believe in a "supreme being" but don't believe that we can understand who, or what, that being is.

John 3:16. if you don't know it, you should!

But i must add that people out there give christianity a bad name. I believe in God & all, but think it's a personal thing. Only we are responsible for our salvation, so why should we make it every body else's problem? everybody knows what is right & wrong to them, so i say let people be. I believe in a personal relationship - not running round & trying get everybody converted.
    [Edited by Progenitor on 02-13-2001 at 01:52 PM]

some religons say that Jesus won't return to earth.

read Acts 1:11

hmmmm....

i believe the bible, not what some religons take from the bible and "warp" for their own benifit.

as for faith,

Heb 11:1

Heb 11:6

i love that chapter

austin 3:16
    says i just whooped your a**
    sorry had to do it