A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a message to book-burners...

It's ok he already got all the media attention he wanted without even burning it. He "canceled" it due to pressure from political people from around the world.

Does anyone think he was actually going to burn it? I think it was just a big stunt and he wasn't actually going to do it from the start.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by david petley View Post
    Because I don't care that it was a holy book. I care about the impact and motives of such an act, regardless of what book is being burnt.

The fact that it is a holy book for more than half of the world is bound to have more impact, but the evil and ignorance behind the act does not change, and that is what really bothers me ...NOT the fact that the book is holy.
    Right. And the exact same principle applies to other religious symbols that some have desecrated. It's the same result. The article you linked to points out that the result is what is important, not the item.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I dunno, I kinda think they should prevent the mosque from being built until the non-extremists step up and police their own religion.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    I dunno, I kinda think they should prevent the mosque from being built until the non-extremists step up and police their own religion.
    LOL with that line of thought no religious building will ever be built.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey View Post
    Right. And the exact same principle applies to other religious symbols that some have desecrated. It's the same result. The article you linked to points out that the result is what is important, not the item.

Are you still trying to prove a point about religion when I have made it very clear that I just don't care about religious stuff?

I did not start this topic to talk about religious stuff, and have tried to tell you so many times that this topic is NOT about religion.

It is about burning books. If it were a dictionary, and he were buring copies of it because he thought it came from the devil, I would still be typing my disgust.

...for Gods sake, give me a break here.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post

Does that mean that you might think more peaceful non-extremist christians should be down in Florida policing their own religion and making sure that this inciteful act of burning another religion's holy book does not occur?

And making sure the anti-abortionists do not break the law by killing doctors?

...and walking out on preachers who use their pulpit for political purposes?

...just wondering.

david
    Last edited by david petley; 09-11-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Are you still trying to prove a point about religion when I have made it very clear that I just don't care about religious stuff?
    I haven't tried to prove a religious or any other point in this thread. I'm just trying to understand your point.

I did not start this topic to talk about religious stuff, and have tried to tell you so many times that this topic is NOT about religion.
    That isn't true.

You said that the problem with this act is that it is inciteful. You posted a link to an article that explains the same thing. I simply asked if you have the same position about all similarly inciteful acts.

It is about burning books. If it were a dictionary, and he were buring copies of it because he thought it came from the devil, I would still be typing my disgust.
    Would you be disgusted with someone for burning Mein Kampf?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Would you be disgusted with someone for burning Mein Kampf?
    Easy answer - Yes. I would find it very disturbing.

...and stupid, and symbolic, and have nothing to do with the book. Thoughts can't be destroyed by fire.

This incident in Florida is theatre for the lowest common denominator and demonstrates how easy it is to live a free country, with free speech and justice for all, and yet use that free speech to demonstrate total intolerance of other points of view and promote hatred and fear.

As Gerbick indicated earlier, book burning is a coward's way of causing conflict.
    Last edited by david petley; 09-11-2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    would i be disturbed by someone burning Harry Potter books? ....sure. I was when I heard it had happened in New Mexico, along with ACDC records, Stephen King novels and Walt Disney's Snow White.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I think bookburners might all have one thing in common - evil, poisonous and hate-filled thoughts that they think everyone should share.

david

Easy answer - Yes. I would find it very disturbing.

...and stupid, and symbolic, and have nothing to do with the book. Thoughts can't be destroyed by fire.
    Point #1: People who burn books are jerks because it's ineffective at destroying thoughts.

This incident in Florida is theatre for the lowest common denominator and demonstrates how easy it is to live a free country, with free speech and justice for all, and yet use that free speech to demonstrate total intolerance of other points of view and promote hatred and fear.
    Point #2: People who burn books are jerks because it promotes intolerance and hate.

These are two separate points that you've switched between. My question is regarding point 2. Do you think that people who desecrate symbols that are important to a lot of people are jerks because it promotes intolerance and hate?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Point #1: People who burn books are jerks because it's ineffective at destroying thoughts.
    Point #2: People who burn books are jerks because it promotes intolerance and hate. These are two separate points that you've switched between. My question is regarding point 2.
    I have not switched between them but i have expressed both.

Are you stalking me or something?

Do you think that people who desecrate symbols that are important to a lot of people are jerks because it promotes intolerance and hate?
    ...go and start a thread about your feelings on the descration of symbols. I might come along and post ...but it is doubtful ...I don't like how you type, I never have.

I want to talk about bookburners and say what i feel about them. If you want to agree, or disagree with me on that topic, then feel free to offer your opinion. But don't try to paint me into a corner with words, your games are old and stale and I hate doing repetitious stuff.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    "Century after century, the book burners have lit the fearful, powerful, magical fire to reduce to ashes the fearful, powerful, magical books." - Haig Bosmajian

"books are the target because they are the embodiment of ideas, and if you hold extreme beliefs you cannot tolerate anything that contradicts those beliefs or is in competition with them" - Rebecca Knuth

Are you stalking me or something?
    No. I'm asking questions related to the thread you started. That's generally how internet forums are designed to work. It's a public, open discussion.

...go and start a thread about your feelings on the descration of symbols. I might come along and post ...but it is doubtful ...I don't like how you type, I never have.
    I'm not interested in expressing my feelings about that. I am curious what yours are on the subject you posted about. I've become more curious since you have been unwilling to answer simple questions, directly related to a subject you expressed a lot of emotion over.

I want to talk about bookburners and say what i feel about them. If you want to agree, or disagree with me on that topic, then feel free to offer your opinion. But don't try to paint me into a corner with words, your games are old and stale and I hate doing repetitious stuff.
    How can I agree or disagree when you can't be clear about your position?

You say you are against book burners. But, you are unclear about whether or not you are against the incentive of that act in principle. Is it because you think that there are exceptions when it is ok to be inciteful and hateful toward some groups? (Provided that the hate isn't expressed via burning books, of course.)

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Is it because you think that there are exceptions when it is ok to be inciteful and hateful toward some groups? (Provided that the hate isn't expressed via burning books, of course.)
    I think you are being obtuse and silly. I am in principal opposed to book burning. It is wrong in my eyes because it is an act of hatred.

If you want to talk about urine-soaked bibles, feel free to do so. I won't comment. It is not the same act as burning books.

I think you are being obtuse and silly. I am in principal opposed to book burning. It is wrong in my eyes because it is an act of hatred.

If you want to talk about urine-soaked bibles, feel free to do so. I won't comment. It is not the same act as burning books.
    So, the pastor would have been ok in your eyes had he only said that he was going to pee on the Qu'ran?

And I'm the one being silly?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    oh dear, you asked me about artists desecrating the bible as some sort of artistic statement and now you want me to respond to the pastor pissing on the Qu'ran?

you are being very silly...go and chat with casey.
    Last edited by david petley; 09-11-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: spelling

People who burn books burn people (Heinrich Heine). It happened in Nazi Germany.

http://atheism.about.com/od/weeklyquotes/a/heine01.htm

It is really lucky that the Book burning in Florida cannot happen, because the Fire Department does not allow to burn paper with ink.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

The world pays too much attention to the fanatics that scream the loudest and plot the hardest to shock their way into a headline.

That Florida pastor has a congregation of about 50 people in a country of almost 350 million yet he has the mindshare of damn near the world.

That's a very bad message to give to the radicals that represent a supreme minority of any area or ideal. Scream, shout, holler, threaten to desecrate something and you too will get on each and every news channel and media outlet out there. I can't help but feel disgusted.

And I'll tell you all about it in my upcoming book, "Pooping on Church Pews & Public Icons: The Getback"

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    And I'll tell you all about it in my upcoming book, "Pooping on Church Pews & Public Icons: The Getback"
    I assume I get to write the forward...
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |